My first big order

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scooley01

A buddy of mine asked for 14 pens for his employees for Christmas gifts. I'm behind, but I plan to knock most of them out tomorrow and if there's anything left, Thursday I'll wrap up. I got them all cut, drilled, and glued the tubes today. I'd still be working, but knocking the corners off is noisy and it got late. I've never had complaints from the neighbors but I don't want to start now!

Anyways, here's the in progress photos. I was laying them out to decide which kit finish I'd put on them...they're all Designer NT from PSI but I have chrome, gold, satin, and gun metal, so I was planning out the matches.

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scooley01

No. I've never actually painted a tube, because I rarely turn translucent acrylics. It dawns on me that some of these may end up translucent, so I kind of wish I had painted them...too late now!

Final product pics will definitely be posted when I finish.

Drstrangefart

With some luck the translucent ones won't show off too much brass. In my experience, it USUALLY isn't very bad. Looks like you are gonna be BUSY. Have fun with it!

crabcreekind

You are gonna be so tired! i just did 12 cedars pens. Man did that get repetitive. These should be relatively quick to do, cuz you dont have to finish them. I hope you have fun! Looks great so far.

Scooley01

Well, I had planned on knocking most of them out this evening after work. I started by turning the corners off of half of them...that's the noisiest part of turning, so if I do that early, then I can finish turning them any time without bugging the neighbors. Anyways, I did half of them then got bored just turning cylinders, so I decided to actually start finishing them. A piece of acrylic thread/scrap/ribbon got caught on my mandrel and I (Stupidly) tried to grab it with my hand...caught my finger on a block spinning with unturned corners and hurt my finger pretty well.

Didn't call it quits though...gauze/bandaid/peroxide, and then I finished 3 just to prove I could :p

Drstrangefart

Well, I had planned on knocking most of them out this evening after work. I started by turning the corners off of half of them...that's the noisiest part of turning, so if I do that early, then I can finish turning them any time without bugging the neighbors. Anyways, I did half of them then got bored just turning cylinders, so I decided to actually start finishing them. A piece of acrylic thread/scrap/ribbon got caught on my mandrel and I (Stupidly) tried to grab it with my hand...caught my finger on a block spinning with unturned corners and hurt my finger pretty well.

Didn't call it quits though...gauze/bandaid/peroxide, and then I finished 3 just to prove I could :p

Keep it moving along, dude. Next time, a coat of CA on the cut will seal it up nicely.

Scooley01

Thanks! I'll be coming in right under the wire...he's giving them to the employees on Saturday, and I'll wrap up tomorrow. Unfortunately, I have work tonight, but I'm off tomorrow. I have 7/14 done...halfway!

Drstrangefart

Thanks! I'll be coming in right under the wire...he's giving them to the employees on Saturday, and I'll wrap up tomorrow. Unfortunately, I have work tonight, but I'm off tomorrow. I have 7/14 done...halfway!

Well, now you gotta post a pic of all of them completed! Your viewing audience is invested.

crabcreekind

If you want to get ribbons off the lathe while it is running. Just pinch it really fast and let go. do this over and over. if you do this your lathe wont have time to smack your hand on something

Drstrangefart

If you want to get ribbons off the lathe while it is running. Just pinch it really fast and let go. do this over and over. if you do this your lathe wont have time to smack your hand on something

I do that if both barrels are down to round. If one is square, no way. That's just me, though. My wife asked why I turned the lathe off to clear ribbons when the other barrel was still square and had those jagged corners on it. I showed her this thread.

Scooley01

Yep, it's definitely a lesson you only need to learn the hard way once...I won't touch the blanks with anything other than a tool while any part of it is still square from now on!

Anyways, here's the pics I promised. I meant to post them yesterday...

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

And here's a link to an album with all the individual pens' pictures. I didn't want to make this post ten miles long with all 14!

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v400/Scooley01/14 Pens/

Scooley01

I touched up the photos so they don't have that weird unbalanced white color cast to them...here they are, in the ten mile long post I originally didn't want to make :)

18311035812.jpg

18311022568.jpg

18311019517.jpg

18311016090.jpg

18311003695.jpg

18310989022.jpg

18310972561.jpg

18310959167.jpg

18310950854.jpg

18310937000.jpg

18310936168.jpg

18310921075.jpg

18310909492.jpg

18310908441.jpg

Scooley01

Ugh I can't even imagine doing an order that big! I thought 14 was overkill!

And I love these kits! I don't know why, there's just something about them...they're as easy as slimlines but they're chunkier and they look more expensive than slims. It helps to leave them a little fatter, as straighter cuts don't really compliment the kit (IMO). But yeah, this is my "go-to" kit for pretty much everything lately.

Top Bottom