My First Batch

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomwojeck

All,

Attached is a picture of my first batch of Cigar pens finished with CA/BLO. The one on the left is African Leadwood, the next 2 are padauk, the next is curly cherry, and the one on the right is Bolivian rosewood.

Each one has been a little better than the last. My biggest problem is the lighting in my shop (garage) sucks, and I can't always see scratches on the surface. On one of the padauks, I thought it was perfect, checked and rechecked, only to see faint scratches when I checked them the next day in natural daylight.

Anyway, it's still loads of fun, and I think I'm getting better.

--Tom

Image Insert:
200491012620_P9090040.jpg

69.04KB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

timdaleiden

Great looking pens Tom.

For those last tiny scratches, some people do a quick buffing on the lathe. I have used automotive swirl mark remover with soft paper towel, and it does miracles. Just a dab will do it.[:D]

jwoodwright

Very Nice. I use a swing arm lamp with a "natural light" floursent bulb. It's a S.A.D. Light. Was $10 for the bulb. Shows all detail. Normal floursent lights are off color...

darbytee

Beautiful pens, Tom. Lighting is definitely key. I had my father in law install four 8 foot tubes in addition to the stock lights in my shop. I also use a worklight that clips right on the edge of my lathe that is very helpful.

G

Thought I would pull up an old post.
I just got a couple of pieces of Leadwood From Bill.
Judging from your picture it finishes red.
Mine kind of look brown.
Anyone else done anything in lead wood?
I found this thread from the search function.

tomwojeck

Originally posted by Eaglesc
<br />Thought I would pull up an old post.
I just got a couple of pieces of Leadwood From Bill.
Judging from your picture it finishes red.
Mine kind of look brown.
Anyone else done anything in lead wood?
I found this thread from the search function.

Eagle,

On that batch it did finish red. I'm not sure if the BLO brought out the red in it or not.

As I think about it, I'm relying on the markings that woodcraft put on the blanks to say that it was leadwood. It could very well have been something else.

-Tom

jkirkb94

Nice looking pens. Another idea is a swing arm light/magnifier combo over your lathe. Harbor Freight has a good deal on one. I have the florescent lamps but the swing arm one with a screw in 60watt florescent bulb (almost no heat and more light) helps me see any imperfections. Kirk[8D]

tipusnr

My Harbor Freight is continually sold out of them so I bought headband magnifiers and a magnetic based lamp. Turning through a magnifying glass is REALLY different!!

tomwojeck

Originally posted by knottyharry
<br />A very nice display of pens. They look real good from where I sit.
Maybe someday I'll get there also.
Harry

Harry,

Thanks for the kind words. I took a class at woodcraft, but really most of the really good stuff that I learned I learned from reading different people's posts on this website.

--Tom

KKingery

Good looking batch!....I finally found the easiest way for me to check for scratches, was to buy one of those magnifying lamps at Office Depot. Cost me a total of $18.00. I mounted the bracket right at the end of my bench, so when I need it, I just swing it over and it fits perfectly over top of the lathe. Since I seem to be half blind anyway, that magnifyer lens on that thing sure is nice!

G

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Tom...African leadwood colors range from red-brown to dark brown (almost black). It's an age thing with the tree.
THnaks D.C&gt; I was the one looking for colors of blackwood.
THose were the only ones I could find.

( see where a "reply to" might be beneficial?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom