My first attempts at this insanity.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sabaharr

Well gang, I have made a few posts now so I figure its about time I air my laundry for all to see. I have been pen turning for all of 5 weeks, on and off, and here are a few of my first attempts. The red oak all the way to the right is my first pen and the last 2 on the left are the last 2 that I made. Nothing fancy, I am just trying to learn to guide my tools to make them do what I want. These are all European pens in Gold, Satin Gold, and Copper finishs. The burl is Black Cherry and has a BLO/CA finish (my first attempt at that. Thanks for looking.

Stephen

Attachments

• jsw_first_pensdsc01077.jpg
    jsw_first_pensdsc01077.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 248
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bad

They're allot nicer than my first attempts. Just try to remember two things. First, if you don't make mistakes, you won't learn anything. Second, like Perry said, keep that first pen.

S

spiritwoodturner

Assuming you're telling us the truth, they look one heck of a lot better than my first ones! I think I wrecked my first dozen acrylics. Those are really VERY nice. And you're right. If you think any one of us is sane, YOU'RE the only insane one!!

Keep it up,
Dale

Sabaharr

OH its the truth alright. The first one I made did not have perfectly square ends and there are barely noticable gaps at the cap and nib ends. Working to the left the second one actually turned off center (that's another post) and will not open or close if pushed all the way into the inset. The last 2 work perfectly. Its like anything else though, anything can be tought, but experience is maiking all the mistakes yourself and learning how not to repeat them.
Stephen

rdunn12

Very nice work.I am not a fan of the bulges,but they all look nice.Keep up the good work.And yep,keep that first one.I still have mine.

bad

Very nice work.I am not a fan of the bulges,but they all look nice.Keep up the good work.And yep,keep that first one.I still have mine.

I gave my first one to my mother. She's in a nursing home 2,000 miles away. She's also mostly deaf and can't use the phone. She writes every once and a while (when she's got enough energy) using her "special" pen.

rwyoung

I like it! As of yet, I'm not a fan of "wacky" shapes but I've been experimenting. The red oak looks pretty neat, as red oak goes. I have a few feet of that and quite a lot of nice QSWO I'm thinking of testing some ideas on.

Top Bottom