My first aluminum

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hello all. Several days ago I posted a question about turning aluminum. I appreciate all the responses I got then. This is the result of your information. Thank you all!!!
This is a Vertex Fountain w/Magnetic Cap and Gun Metal finish. The aluminum barrel has several coats of CA for protection. I think it looks classy, don't it??? :)

Attachments

• Pens 133.jpg
    Pens 133.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tim'sTurnings

That looks great, very classy. What was the size of the blank you used? Was it round or square? Does it seem heavier than wood or acrylic? Was it hard to sand and polish? I would love to have a pen like that and will have to try it someday. Thanks for posting it.

That looks great, very classy. What was the size of the blank you used? Was it round or square? Does it seem heavier than wood or acrylic? Was it hard to sand and polish? I would love to have a pen like that and will have to try it someday. Thanks for posting it.

I purchased round 7/8 x 12" 6061 aluminum rods to make the blanks.

Aluminum 6061-T6 Round Rod, ASTM B221, 7/8" OD, 12" Length: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
I'm sure you can find it a lot cheaper elsewhere, even as scrap material.

Turning it is a long and painful process. Painful because those hot metal shavings go to your arm and hands and burn you. (Long sleeves recommended ;)) I would go with a thinner rod next time to save time effort and tools edge. Drilling time is longer also but went straightforward with a 10.5mm drill on a drill press. I used Gorilla glue to glue the tubes because I felt they were a bit loose.
Sanding and polishing was not that hard, but turning is. It takes much longer than wood and you need really sharp tools. I added CA because someone here said that he was not happy with scratches and blemishes in one of his aluminum turnings. It may have not been necessary, but I think it won't hurt either.

Thank you for your comments.

Last edited:
Thank you all. I really like how this pen came out. I have now its mate. I made a RB using the same kit. Since both kits are identical, I decided to switch the cap and tail of the RollerBall to Chrome finish. The difference is actually very subtle, but this way you can differentiate which is the Fountain and which the RB. I think this makes the set more attractive.

Attachments

• Pens 135.jpg
    Pens 135.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 76
  • Pens 136.jpg
    Pens 136.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 76
Top Bottom