My first 3 herringbone attempts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RetiredJake

Had to try something new, so I cut up a few blanks and tried my first herring bone. Picture 1 shows the result, rather ugly. You can see the tube in several places, and I had a gluing issue that prevented rotating the levels to vary the pattern.

Picture 2 shows my second attempt. Worked through the gluing issue, and could rotate the levels. However, I tried a new way of cutting the blanks that resulted in exposing only end grain. You can still see the tube in a few places.

Pictures 3 and 4 show the third attempt. Made a new jig to cut the pieces so they didn't expose the end grain. Paid a little more attention to positioning while gluing and even sanded a few pieces after they were glued. While it is not perfect, and there are a few small gaps, you can not see the tube anywhere, so I'm calling this one a success.

I now understand why these sell for $90 online. A real PIA and time consumming. People who have completely mastered this have my full appreciation.

Attachments

• IMG_3111_resized.JPG
    IMG_3111_resized.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_3112_resized.JPG
    IMG_3112_resized.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_3113_resized.JPG
    IMG_3113_resized.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_3114_resized.JPG
    IMG_3114_resized.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 188
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

reiddog1

Jake, I haven't even mustered the courage to attempt these yet. Looks like after only 3 tries, you got it. Keep up the good work. Looks awesome!!

Dave

They don't look bad at all for what is involved with doing them by hand. I have made a few with similar results to yours and that was it for me. To much work and glued fingers just to find out that there is brass showing and uneven blocks.

wood128

Very good. They look great. It takes a good while to learn how to make these blanks. I have made a good number of them in the past year and each one I make there is a new learning experience. I make all mine with 3/4 " X 3/4 " X 12 " stock ........grain running along the blank . I cross cut to either 1/4 " thick or 1/8 " thick pieces. It is important to cut parallel and smoth pieces. What are you using for cutting ? It takes 6 pieces to make a layer........but the pattern is not the same all the way around the blank, for the 360 degrees . Have you noticed that ? Hope someone can prove me wrong . Glad to help you or all IAP with my experience on making herringbone pattern blanks. We should learn from each other. Ask any questions . Take care.
Joe

Those are in my "to-do" list, or better "to-attempt" list in the future.
At the moment I am working on mastering Celtic knots :wink:

Good job!!! BTW

Last edited:
Top Bottom