My first 3 casting experiments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

KKingery

Here are pics of my first three casting experiments. For each, I used a differnt type of mold. For experiment 1, I used a piece of 3/4" copper pipe, and capped one end.

200512721505_Cast%201.jpg

For experiment # 2 I used a single mold I made which measures 3/4 x 3/4 for the finished blank size.

200512721516_Cast%202.jpg

And for experiment #3, I made a mold double in width of my original single mold. If this works, it should allow me to end up with 2 full size blanks, in case I want to make a matching set.

2005127215227_Cast%203.jpg

Hopefully, I'll be able to turn some of these this week-end. I'm really curious to see how these turn out.

Thanks for any comments or feedback you might want to share.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

C_Ludwigsen

Okay, can somebody post some pointers as to what all I might need to go buy to try casting a few of my own concoctions?

Thanks.

Ken, these all look cool. Was the casting color of the copper pipe intentional or did it get tainted by the metal?

tipusnr

So am I! That's the proof to the puddin' - as they say. Please keep us advised.

Oops Chuck got in there while I was typing. What I eager to see is how the three (maybe four) blanks turn.

KKingery

Chuck - This is the blind leading the blind, but here's what I got. I went to the ol' Hobby Lobby and bought a can of "Castin'Craft Casting Resin" - It is a 32oz can, and also includes the hardener. The only other things I bought, were a few small bottles of acrylic paints. I was'nt going to buy the expensive pigments until I see if this is all worthwhile. I also bought a few small mixing cups that are marked with the "ounces" on them. I think it's important to get the proper ratio of hardner to the ounces of resin. That's it. That's all I bought. The wood I used for my molds were scraps....I lined them with foil. I hope this helps. I'm sure there are a hundred other things you could buy, but I pretty much got the bare minimum. My total dollar amount invested was just under $40.00

Daniel

Man
you all are going to just push me right over the edge with this acryalic casting suff. talk about no mercy!!!
I got really interested in the blanks themselves. you are really coming along in the mixes etc. Right now I am dawdeling trying to get up the nerve to make the single largest shop perchase I have ever made. i am about to get a P.S.I. Tempest Cyclone dust collecter. If I can still fond my wallet after the smoke clears. i will have to get into some of this acrylic stuff. I still have some stabalizing ideas to get followed up on as well.

melogic

Ken,
How did you like the copper pipe experiment as opposed to the others? How long does it take for this stuff to set up (harden)? Does it tell you on the can somewhere what the ratio of hardener to resin is? Is there a certain temperature that all of this is to be performed at? I have a Hobby Lobby within 10 minutes of my house. I'm chomping at the bit to try this.

Fred in NC

Very nice Ken! I can see the swirls in the second and third pics. Should make great pens!

I understand it takes about 2 oz resin to make one pen, so about $2. a blank, right ?

Please keep us posted.

KKingery

Yes, the amount of resin totally depends on how big you make your molds. These first three were all guesses, because I never was any good at trying to figure out volume! The copper pipe mold took 3 ounces of resin - the single mold took 2 ounces, and the double sized mold took right at 4 ounces. The copper mold makes nice round blanks, but definately has drawbacks - you can't see how your swirling goes, and it seemed to trap air, along with the fact it took several days for the blank to cure. - Mark, yes, the can tells you the ratio of hardener to resin to use, depending on the thickness of your pour. Usually around 3 or 4 drops of hardener to 1 ounce of resin. It's also cool here, so I'm sure that slows down the cure time. Anyway, it's all an experiment! - Daniel, if you find your wallet, order me one of those cyclones too!

KKingery

Fred, that's what I've been trying to figure out. I figured a 32oz can, should produce 16 blanks. The resin was right at $20.00, so I figure about $1.25 a blank plus the cost for the pigments. I think a bottle of pigment would do a tremendous number of blanks, so that cost is very negligable. (at least using the type I bought!) Conservatively, I figured that if it cost me $1.30 to 1.50 per blank, I would still come out way ahead, compared to buying a blank at $3.50 to 3.99 plus shipping. I'm sure my figuring is a little off, but it's close enough.

Fred in NC

Ken, that is about how I figured it out. Of course, being the pesimist I am (!) I add a little for waste, bad blank, etc.

You said you got acrylic paints to color the resin. How did that work? I understand they are water based. Thanks!!!

melogic

Ken, The pigment you are talking about, is it the different colors and swirling? Do you just pick any color for the main color and then whatever swirl you want? Is the resin clear or colored? Sorry to be asking so many questions but I am really curious. How long does it take for one of the wooden molds to cure?

KKingery

The acrylic paints I got seem to work fine - course I don't have anything to compare it to.
Mark - The resin I got is clear, I pour about 2 or 3 ounces into a mixing cup, and then add the drops of hardener. I then added a base color of paint, and mixed it for a couple of minutes. Then I just poured it into the mold. After about 20 minutes, I added several randomly spaced drops of accent color, and swirled them in with a toothpick - I think the trick is not to "stir" it too much. (That's what I did in experiment #1 - stirred it too much) The cure time for the single blank wood mold was overnight - compared to the copper tube which took 3 days!
For the acrylic paints I got, I figured "acrylic resin - acrylic paint: should work"

Gary

Is there a Michael's or MJD? You also might try a marine supply house since they carry resins for fiberglass repair. Surfboard supply houses also carry the materials, but I guess you've got few of those in Alaska. [;)]

PenWorks

How many times do I have to type this [:p] Go to www.artstuf.com

You can buy a gallon for 33.00 and the catylst is included, shipped right to your door. [:D] I bet they ship to Alaska too [:D]

Anthony

PenWorks

Hey, I didn't tell John to move to Alaska [:D] I am just trying to be helfull [:)]

Besides, he should be use to large shipping charges by now [:D]

It would probablly get there frozen in one big clear mold anyways, but that would save him casting time [:D]

I wonder what time it is in Alaska, I bet Jeff would know [:p]

I'm outa here. Starting to get punchy.[:eek:)]

wayneis

Instead of investing a bunchg of money you may want to check out woodpenpro as Jimmy has some new celluloids that is priced really good. These look like what CSUSA sells. I figured that I can save about thirty bucks buying three sets of his blanks compared to craft supply.

Wayne

patrick_1853

How long has he had those. I have been ordering pen kits and cases from him for a couple months now, and never saw those on his sight until now.

Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom