My Confession...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

On my old lathe, I never changed speeds. Ever!

And yet miraculously I was able to produce a bunch of nice pens and other stuff. it was an old 4 step pulley setup that was almost impossible to change (I was about to but a hinge on the motor to make it easier, then I sold it).

After just today picking up a lathe with electronic variable speed, I feel like I'm learning all over again. Haha.

Now that I can tell exactly what rpm I'm turning at, its time for me to go back through our archives and see what speeds are best for drilling, turning, finishing...

I'm looking forward to taking my game up a notch by doing more things right instead of just passably.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OOPS

Good luck with that, Dan. The more penturners I meet, the more I learn that there IS NO BEST SPEED for doing anything! You will hear a lot of different opinions, but in the end, its whatever speed you feel most comfortable with. If you are getting good results, then the speed is perfect for you.

I am not suggesting that you not try different speeds to see if you have more success. I tried several settings on my drill press before deciding on "the best speed." But I would take all suggestions as merely opinions and nothing more.

Dan Masshardt

Good luck with that, Dan. The more penturners I meet, the more I learn that there IS NO BEST SPEED for doing anything! You will hear a lot of different opinions, but in the end, its whatever speed you feel most comfortable with. If you are getting good results, then the speed is perfect for you.

I am not suggesting that you not try different speeds to see if you have more success. I tried several settings on my drill press before deciding on "the best speed." But I would take all suggestions as merely opinions and nothing more.

I know that there is no objective best.

But I'm pretty sure that turning and finishing with ca at the same speed is not best. :)

NittanyLion

Make sure you make Momma something nice with it.....maybe a vase, bowl, or maybe even a Jr. Gent......After all, I bet she approved! Congrats on the new machine.

Carl Fisher

I typically only use 2 speeds. Somewhere around the 2k mark for turning and then slow down around 600 for finish work. I always did it by feel with my mini where it was just a nob to dial it to what felt comfortable. With the big one I have a better idea of what speeds those were.

Bottom line, pick a speed that feels comfortable to YOU. There is no real right answer, just opinions. It really boils down to how much pressure you apply to either the tool or the sanding media and the material you are using. Some are more finicky to high heat so you would either slow down or apply less pressure, or both. It won't take you long to figure it out.

Last edited:

Dan Masshardt

Make sure you make Momma something nice with it.....maybe a vase, bowl, or maybe even a Jr. Gent......After all, I bet she approved! Congrats on the new machine.

I've made her a vase and a pen. She'd like an aero click. She's also been asking for some candle holders for the bedroom. Which will only lead to more good things.

plano_harry

Hi Dan, congrats on the new VS lathe. Much more fun. I have the Delta, but I think you went for the Jet, correct? Probably a good thing, I find the Delta too addictive... My comments only apply to pens - vases and bowls are too large to carry in my pocket to show people.

I do 1 belt change -- all turning on the high pulley usually around 3,000-3,100; all finishing on the low pulley 380 for CA then 750 for sanding. Once I get CA on, I am only wet sanding to keep the heat down on the CA.

Hope that helps. Enjoy the new tool!!

Harry

Dan Masshardt

Hi Dan, congrats on the new VS lathe. Much more fun. I have the Delta, but I think you went for the Jet, correct? Probably a good thing, I find the Delta too addictive... My comments only apply to pens - vases and bowls are too large to carry in my pocket to show people.

I do 1 belt change -- all turning on the high pulley usually around 3,000-3,100; all finishing on the low pulley 380 for CA then 750 for sanding. Once I get CA on, I am only wet sanding to keep the heat down on the CA.

Hope that helps. Enjoy the new tool!!

Harry

Yup. Primary reason being delta seems to be offering very little service support on your lathe. I've heard from guys waiting months on a replacement switch.

The lathes are extremely similar though. Jet prob copied much of the delta. It's certainly not important but I like the digital readout on the jet and the switch location a bit better (personal preference only).

Thanks for the tips on your speeds. I'll give them a try and see how they work for me.

Dale Allen

Hehe...not ashamed at all! :) Happy for ya too. That will probably be my choice too.....eventually!
During a conversation with someone at a very large tool retailer near me, the subject of parts for the Delta came up. Here's what I was told but I have no way of confirming it.
When Dewalt bought Delta, they neglected to also purchase the warehouses that contained the spare parts, which included parts for the 46-460 lathe.
Then when those spare parts were needed for warranty claims or other requests, a new round of negotiating for purchasing those parts began. That was quite a while ago and it should have gotten better by now, or maybe not.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom