My complaint is similar to "edstreet's"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

warthog

Today I was going through my bushings...man there are a bunch of them...and I noticed I had a nauveau sceptor pen kit that I needed a set of bushings for. I pulled out the catalog and was ready to order some when I got to playing around with some bushings for a magestic Jr. The dang things fit the sceptor kit to a tee. I have only been turning pens for about a year now...but I can understand ed's frustration. I don't know about some of you folks out there...but I have to watch every cent I spend...and when I spend money on something thinking I need it...and turns out I already had something that would work as good that do have a tendency to get under my skin. If anything I would like to see something done with this. And don't tell me to do it myself...because I can't afford to buy every size bushing there is out there. JUST MY TWO CENTS WORTH.:at-wits-end::mad::at-wits-end::mad::at-wits-end:Have a good day.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

76winger

Today I was going through my bushings...man there are a bunch of them...and I noticed I had a nauveau sceptor pen kit that I needed a set of bushings for. I pulled out the catalog and was ready to order some when I got to playing around with some bushings for a magestic Jr. The dang things fit the sceptor kit to a tee. I have only been turning pens for about a year now...but I can understand ed's frustration. I don't know about some of you folks out there...but I have to watch every cent I spend...and when I spend money on something thinking I need it...and turns out I already had something that would work as good that do have a tendency to get under my skin. If anything I would like to see something done with this. And don't tell me to do it myself...because I can't afford to buy every size bushing there is out there. JUST MY TWO CENTS WORTH.:at-wits-end::mad::at-wits-end::mad::at-wits-end:Have a good day.

Careful, the Sceptre uses the same diameter tubes as the Majestic Jr., but the cap finial is larger. So if you turn using the Majestic bushings, you'll have what looks like an umbrella for a cap finial!

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
. And don't tell me to do it myself...because I can't afford to buy every size bushing there is out there.

What.. and the rest of us can? :confused:

I won't say "if you want something done, do it yourself" .. but I will ask
"If not you, then who?"

You do realize that if you had taken notes of your own as you made
pens, you'd probably have had this information at your fingertips all
along, right?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If you really want to save money on bushings, make them. Then mark the dimensions somewhere so you will know if you ever need EXACTLY the same bushing.

Not only that, they will be more accurate and the hole will be centered.

bitshird

Ken, I don't know how long you have been turning pens, or what you skill level and tool setup is, BUT it is very easy to make a conical shape out of Corian or even better is Delrin, Drill a hoe in a block or piece of Delrin rod, the hole ideally will be at .247 but a quarter inch will do,sorry my drill chart is covered up right now.
If you don't own a set buy an inexpensive set of Dial Calipers, Harbor freight has some quite reasonable, Using the calipers, measure the parts that your blank must meet, Write it down.
Then with the tubes in your blank, install them on your mandrel with a cone at each end small end into the hole, then start turning you blanks, keep checking the size right at the point that the barrel will meet the Nib or Centerband, or Finial, what ever piece you are turning. Now the best part is if you make these out of Delrin CA won't adhere to them and finishing also just became easier, (this is provided you do a CA finish).
You will also find that as your skill and Eye get better your pens will be far more accurate than pens done with bushings. This process is called Turning Between Centers, and many of the guys that turn kitless pens do it this way, Bushings wear out so you wind up with under turned joins, but if you measure your lets say Nib lets say the size is .398 you would want to turn the blank if it's wood to about .410 and sand to .392 which will allow a build up of CA or even some friction polish, ((I would hope not) but you will wind up with a decent thickness of finish, and very little layout for bushings.
I have 3 sets of Cigar bushings, and all 3 are different at some measurable join area (where wood or Acrylic are supposed to meet perfectly)
This hobby is expensive enough with out making it any more so, so get a pair of calipers, find a piece of Delrin, someone on here should be able to help you with that, if not let me know, I can always grab small pieces of round stock.
Turning between centers is by far the best way to create a pen. but always keep some slimline bushings handy, they make great spacers.

Last edited:

plantman

:rolleyes::rolleyes: A calipers is a must!!!!! I measure everything. If you are using bushings and you have to loosen or take off you blank to check a fit, it will never seat in the exact same position. As you use bushings, they get a little smaller each time. Also 27/64ths is not the same in China as it is in the United States. Even the same makers of pen kits will vary a little from lot to lot on tube or fitting size. Follow the suggestion of the turners above and make your own bushings if you want everthing to be centered. I have made a set of tapered bushings I use if I run into something that does't seem to fit correctly. If you have a set of tapered bushings, that's the only set of bushings you will need. Never rely on bushings for final size, always measure. HF sells digital calipers that read both metric and inches for less than $10 less the 20% off coupon. Rember the old woodworkers quote "measure twice, cut once" Jim S

Last edited:

allisnut

Bushing Sizes

The only time I have been able to interchange bushings is by using majestic jr bushings to turn magnetic graduate pens. THey are within 0.001" of being the right size. Tube size is only half the issue, as someone already mentioned. I made a spreadsheet of bushing sizes for different kits that I use to cross reference what will swap with what. I have only used PSI kits, so my list is smaller.

Adam

Capture.jpg

GrantH

I don't understand why there is even a MARKET for bushings. If we tried keeping this as an art, the first step would be precision. Something that should not come from chucking up a guide and going full bore until you hit "gold." I used a set of bushings twice when I started and quickly learned the benefits of turning between centers. Bushings of any size or material are a complete waste.

azamiryou

Today I was going through my bushings...man there are a bunch of them...and I noticed...

Possibly one of the most useful documents in the Library: Pen Kit Bushings and Tubes

It was last updated in 2010, so it doesn't have all the latest pen styles... but Majestic Jr. and Nouveau Scepter are both there (on page 10). And it shows just what 76winger said: one end of the cap is significantly different, the others are off just a few thousandths.

Traguh

I haven't used bushings in quite some time. But I will tell you that if you wanted to make your own bushings, I just bought four feet of delrin rod at one inch in diameter for about thirty dollars delivered. If you figured you could get two bushings per inch that would net you 96 bushings and save you hundreds of dollars! Plus you could get it in a smaller diameter and save even more. Just a thought.

Top Bottom