My 13yo daughter turns Snakewood!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drb007

I just started turning pens, mostly to inspire my kids to get out to the shop and learn how to use the tools. My youngest is really having fun. She has turned 3 pens, and given the season, asked to make some things for mom, grandmas and grandpa for Christmas.
As my dad is my teacher, and his hope is for all his grandkids to learn woodworking, she wanted to make him something special.
The clerk at Woodcraft turned us on to a $15 blank of snakewood. We then found this forum and learned more about the hazards of this choice.
She wanted to make a razor kit, and insisted she try the snakewood. I can't tell you how proud she is of her first serious effort. You can imaging how proud I am of her.
I can't wait to have her give this to my dad on Christmas!

Attachments

• asr1.jpg
    asr1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 17,962
  • swr1.jpg
    swr1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 588
  • swr2.jpg
    swr2.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 837
  • swr3.jpg
    swr3.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 581
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

That is a beautiful razor, nice work! Try to save some of the shavings from the wood. If the wood should crack, you can take the handle apart and crumble the shavings into the cracks and use a sanding slurry with CA to seal the cracks. That method can make snakewood repairs invisible.

MartinPens

That's an ideal kit for the snakewood! A nice small hole and lots of wood to hopefully avoid the dreaded cracking. I'm gonna have to give that a try. Thanks for sharing. Great job!!

Nick

Your Daughter has done a fine job on her project and I am sure you are a proud father as well he Grandfather will be when he receives the gift. Tell your kids to keep up the good work, it brings a family together when they all share a common interest.

Alzey

Beautiful work on the razor kit. I'll have to keep an eye out for some snake wood.

Word of caution, her hair should be in a bun when working around the lathe and other tools. It only takes a split second to get tangled. Happened to a friend of mine and I don't want anyone to have to deal with that.

PWL

You better watch out or you will have to schedule time for yourself in your shop! She will be taking over? Beautiful job!
PW

NotURMailman

Very nice! It's a wonderful feeling when your children share a common interest in something you enjoy and can teach them to do/ Especially when they do so well at it!

Drb007

Rest easy, she was completely supervised and her pony tails pulled back for turning.

As for scheduling shop time, no worries, as I have two lathes!

Thanks for all the compliments guys...she loves it!

mpex

That is great! When I started a month ago, I got my 11 3/4 y/o helping me sanding right away. We are making gifts for her teachers for the holidays. She is still too young to turn, but it's been nice having her involved.

Drb007

The best thing is that the project give them such quick satisfaction. Pens for teachers and friends, and some more projects for family will be happening all week. I'll post them as we get them done!

Drb007

Here are a few more things she turned!

Attachments

• alainaall.jpg
    alainaall.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 116
  • alainaallcir.jpg
    alainaallcir.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 106
  • alainapizza.jpg
    alainapizza.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 117
  • alainaseamrip.jpg
    alainaseamrip.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 113
  • alainagmg.jpg
    alainagmg.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 124

Nick

She is well on her way doing stunning work, I bet you are so proud of her as well as her being proud of herself and what she is doing.
Keep up the fine work

Top Bottom