My $10 Pen Press

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crash

yes.. i have one as well.. its a beer bottle capper.. fondly used by many a home brewer..

i'll have to search for mine.. great idea..

i have that same press...

dougle40

Well Crash and Greg beat me to it . I used that quite a bit while I was in the Navy and living in Nova Scotia . Nothing like storing a freshly capped case of beer behind the wood stove and being rudely awakened in the middle of the night to the sound of bottle caps popping !! LOL

woodscavenger

so what were you "wondering" in the pawn shop. Were you wondering how good of a deal you were getting? I love pawn shops. My large drill press cost me $30 from one.

esheffield

You guys must have better pawn shops than the ones I've been in. The last one I went in was WAY expensive. Only halfway decent deal was a big Porter-Cable plunge router for $100 that looked almost unused, just some light surface rust on the metal parts. But otherwise most of the stuff looked very used/abused for prices close to new. Esp. some old computers. Crazy.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Used to make Root beer as a kid.
I knew what that was the first I saw it.
We used different blocks of wood for diffent sized bottles.
The capper I used was a cst iron one my Dad had when he was a kid.
Iwas too busy drinking Beer as an adult to bother making it.
always wanted to. Never did.
Now after being sober for a a couple of 24 hrs.I don't want to bother if I can't be in charge of "quality control".

GregD

I'm not all that crazy about pawn shops. You really got to watch what you buy. A lot of it is junk. I hit them once a month or so just to see if they have anything I can use. Every now and then I come away with a deal.

rtgleck

wow.. that's a crazy great find. I'll have to watch for one of those. The one I have clamps onto the bottle and presses down so wouldn't work for pens. But your certainly will.

Gregory Huey

I remember them from 40 to 50 years ago. I also remember the belly ache you wood get from the root beer when it was still green and the sound of those caps blowing off bottles. Part of the good ole days.

Rolf

This is very similar to the capper I use for my homebrew...

1708.jpg

I've thought about converting it to a pen press, but I need to keep the bottle capping functionality, so I've stuck with my drill press as a pen press so far.

This one happens to be at a shop local to me, but I'm sure it's available anywhere homebrew supplies are sold. Or you could buy it online here...

[urlhttp://www.morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=15676[/url]

I didn't look for a better price, so it might be available cheaper elsewhere.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
NO reason you couldn't do both with it.
Turn an insert for the plunger, have it stand a little "proud".Use a rare earth magnet top keep it seated in the plunger section while pressing pens.
Block of wood on the bottom when pressing pens.
The holes in the colum look like it has maore than enough adjustability.

Thumbs

<b>Rolf</b>, that price doesn't seem that bad for a device that can be so easily modified for special use as <b>Eagle</b> has described. I got one of the last presses* from Grizzly that is like the one in jwoodwright's (Oh,I hate to say this![B)]) <b><u>album</u></b>. And even though it was discontinued, I think I paid a bit more than that. This looks like a good solution for someone looking for this type of press.

* <b>I guess they were originally supposed to be paper punches but they work great for pen presses!</b>

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
For anyone else who is looking for a ($10.00) press,I ahve seen them at flea markets quite often.
Even if they are not as adjustable as the one pictured, a riser could easily be made to elevate the lower section.
(Thumbs, IIRC I paid $20.00 delivered for my grizz press)

Thumbs

Urk! That ticks me off! I went to the local store picked up the only one there and said, "How much?" They said they said they couldn't sell it because it was discontinued and to be returned to their main distribution center for disposal with all the other odds and ends. Duh?
Well, I finally got them to sell it to me, only took about a half hour. Memory strikes me that it was in the thirty dollar range though! [:(!] I still can't complain, I paid for it and thought it was a good deal at the time![:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom