Musk ox horn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

I have a complete musk ox horn and need some advice. What is the trick? It is somewhat soft when turning and gets a little warm - can actually be pliable. I guess the Indians would soak it in water and reshape it.
Does anyone have any experience turning musk ox? The stuff is very hard to get and really expensive and don't want to was more than I have!

Attachments

• IMG_2843.jpg
    IMG_2843.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_2900.jpg
    IMG_2900.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

firewhatfire

I wish the 1 I had was that large. I have a single horn that came in the mail yesterday. The box was arrived soaking wet, so it will be several weeks before I will attempt anything with it.

I sure wish mine was that size.

Patience and copious amounts of thin CA.

Talltim

I think part of difficulty is the horn vs antler dilema . Horn is made of keratin more like your fingernail where antler is bone.

Horn is more layered and also will tends to crack in the future.

Earlier in my turning history I was very excited about a horn I got. My enthusiasm dwindled the more I studied it.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Skie_M

Horn is generally modified hairs .... much like fingernails, yup .... antler is bone, like teeth or ivory ... (specifically, ivory is dentin, a hard version of bone that can have a softer backing for durability).

Shark teeth are modified scales, rather than bone or dentin.

Most horn can be .... quite pliable and easy to shape. In the past, many people would obtain their "platterware" as carved wood or carved horn. Carved bone could be used but as it was a much harder material to work, it was reserved more for the higher class .... but the wealthy? They ate with "silverware". Literally ... solid silver tableware. In some cases, gold dipped or gold plated, whereas the very wealthy and the nobility may even eat using solid gold spoons and forks, and possibly gold plated knives as part of their table cutlery.

For horn platterware .... you would first soak the horn for a few weeks to make it pliable (some modern makers also microwave it a little to heat it up and help it delaminate ... it comes apart in thin layers easily). You could then take the thin layer and iron it between some sheets of leather or cloth to flatten it out .... after which you could carve the specific shape you wish and then use hot coals or a hot iron and some specially curved clamps to get the curves you wanted in the material. Horn was the plastic of the dark ages ... it would bend and curve how you wished. HOWEVER This material is not "dishwasher safe" ... if you get it hot and wet, it will tend to want to curl back into it's original shape as it was as part of the horn. This is why most households would have a cheap set of shaped clamps for their platterware, to bend it back... or take the risk of eating with iron platterware that could rust or possibly contain trace elements that could be poisonous ... or just go with sycamore tableware that was naturally bacteria resistant.

You could eat cold soups and porridge with horn tableware ... you could eat hot meals with wooden tableware that was bacteria resistant, though if you let the hot liquids soak into things like wooden platters and bowls, they would soon crack over time.

Horn will move with large temperature changes .... it will want to uncurl back to it's normal set position if made damp and heated .... glue it well, paint and seal it if it's light colored as it is naturally transluscent, MAKE SURE you seal the ends well (and polish it nicely, of course) and make sure you also seal the outer side of the barrel as well with a good thick layer of CA or other long lasting sealer. It will absorb water readily, and then warp right before your eyes.

keithbyrd

Horn is generally modified hairs .... much like fingernails, yup .... antler is bone, like teeth or ivory ... (specifically, ivory is dentin, a hard version of bone that can have a softer backing for durability).

Shark teeth are modified scales, rather than bone or dentin.

Most horn can be .... quite pliable and easy to shape. In the past, many people would obtain their "platterware" as carved wood or carved horn. Carved bone could be used but as it was a much harder material to work, it was reserved more for the higher class .... but the wealthy? They ate with "silverware". Literally ... solid silver tableware. In some cases, gold dipped or gold plated, whereas the very wealthy and the nobility may even eat using solid gold spoons and forks, and possibly gold plated knives as part of their table cutlery.

For horn platterware .... you would first soak the horn for a few weeks to make it pliable (some modern makers also microwave it a little to heat it up and help it delaminate ... it comes apart in thin layers easily). You could then take the thin layer and iron it between some sheets of leather or cloth to flatten it out .... after which you could carve the specific shape you wish and then use hot coals or a hot iron and some specially curved clamps to get the curves you wanted in the material. Horn was the plastic of the dark ages ... it would bend and curve how you wished. HOWEVER This material is not "dishwasher safe" ... if you get it hot and wet, it will tend to want to curl back into it's original shape as it was as part of the horn. This is why most households would have a cheap set of shaped clamps for their platterware, to bend it back... or take the risk of eating with iron platterware that could rust or possibly contain trace elements that could be poisonous ... or just go with sycamore tableware that was naturally bacteria resistant.

You could eat cold soups and porridge with horn tableware ... you could eat hot meals with wooden tableware that was bacteria resistant, though if you let the hot liquids soak into things like wooden platters and bowls, they would soon crack over time.

Horn will move with large temperature changes .... it will want to uncurl back to it's normal set position if made damp and heated .... glue it well, paint and seal it if it's light colored as it is naturally transluscent, MAKE SURE you seal the ends well (and polish it nicely, of course) and make sure you also seal the outer side of the barrel as well with a good thick layer of CA or other long lasting sealer. It will absorb water readily, and then warp right before your eyes.

Thanks for all the great info and history!
You mention its propensity to absorb water. If the ox horn is well sealed does it still absorb?

Skie_M

Nope ... sealing it against moisture should do just that, protect it from moisture changes. You are STILL going to need to keep it somewhat regulated on it's temperature, though .... if going someplace cold, keep it in an inner jacket pocket so it doesn't get cold, ect ...

Top Bottom