Murphy was working overtime, today!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russknan

I am a recently retired psychologist. One of my favorite patients is soon to be conferred his Eagle Scout award. As a former (also current, I guess?) Eagle Scout, I am particularly proud of him. His Mom has informed me that I will be invited to the award ceremony. That means a lot, but I don't know the date of the ceremony - probably any time now. So, as a penturner, I wanted to make something special for him. Tried a couple of things I've never done, with the expected learning curve/anxiety that comes with that.

First, I've never done a decal pen. Good place to start. Then, I was inspired by some work done by Rick (rherrell) who, ever the gentleman (and a GREAT vendor, I must say) was kind enough to coach me on staining a blank after I sent him an email about his beautiful MagLite modification. So, after the turning, decaling - couple of failures along the way until I discovered that the decal needs FOUR shots of acrylic spray - at least the way I do it - got the whole thing turned, coated in multiple coats of CA, and assembled on a pen. I truly think it's one of the nicest I've done. Even SWMBO, my greatest critic, an artist herself, and one who can be trusted to find the smallest flaw (I mean that in a good way), found it perfect. Only thing left is to photograph it for my collection. No problem. Took it outside, put it on a piece of foam core board that I normally use, put the pen on it, rested it on the BBQ grill on my deck, and turned around to put down another pen I wanted to photograph. Along came a puff of wind. Lifted up the foam core and pen, sent them sailing, the pen hit the handrail for the steps up to the deck, deflected down onto the cement pad on the bottom, and made a couple of "ding" sounds. I'm nearly heartbroken. BOTH blanks have significant dings. Hopefully, I'll be able to salvage the upper one with the decal. The lower blank has dings into the wood, so I may have to turn, stain, and finish another. Hardware took some hits, too. I thought I had a bunch of those kits extra but, fortunately, I do have ONE left. Guess what I'm ordering again tonight?

Hope you don't mind my crying on your shoulder(s). I'll recover. Just hope I have a few more days before the ceremony. Oh, also, hope I don't have to re-do the upper blank with the decal, too. It's been a learning experience.
Russ

Attachments

• IMG_1360.jpg
    IMG_1360.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_1361.jpg
    IMG_1361.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_1362.jpg
    IMG_1362.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_1363.jpg
    IMG_1363.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_1367.jpg
    IMG_1367.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 231
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

OUCH! Beautiful pen. I actually felt your pain as I read about your experience. The only thing I can say is the next one should be easier to make and thank you for sharing the lesson you learned with the rest of us. Hopefully, this will help prevent it happening to someone else in the future.

Jim Smith

Dale Allen

Nice pen and great job on the decal. Looks like that can be fixed with some crafty refinishing.
BTW, I started out taking pictures outside but due to similar problems and almost accidents I decided to make up a small photo tent using a Styrofoam cooler bottom. They are cheap and worked good.

Akula

Life without challenges would be boring.

The pen looks good. The hard part was over..learning. Next time will be easier and quicker (what I keep telling myself anyways)

penmaker1967

very nice pen he should be very proud of it he has earned a very high honor i am to a eagle scout and very proud of the fact that i earned it it is something that can never be taken away from . congs on the pen again

Russknan

Thanks, all, for your sympathy and advice. I think I've spent enough time licking my wounds/feeling sorry for myself. I've decided the following for tomorrow: 1. Put a couple drops of thick CA on the dings on the upper barrel. When dry, apply skew, sand, and examine. Hopefully, that will solve the more complicated barrel with the decal which I'd prefer not to do over. 2. Carefully sand down the lower blank,trying not to take much, if any, off the ends. See how that turns out. Perhaps try adding more stain. If the dimensions are too far off, immediately turn a new lower blank, stain, etc. I may do both around the same time. I'll let you know how it turns out. Wonderful people here on IAP! Russ

Top Bottom