multi lead threading

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

buster

Just wondering if you multilead thread a barrel do you have to do the same to the cap. I wouldn't think you would but then again I have no experience on this matter.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Paul in OKC

Nope, the threads won't match up. Technically a multi-lead thread is several coarse pitch threads run at offsets. Makes it look like a fine thread at times, but the pitch is different.

buster

Ahhh, I get it now. The reason I was asking is that it seems easier to thread the barrel multilead than it is on the inside of the cap. Someone on the FPN site made it sound kind of simple to multilead thread on a lathe but didn't really get into internal threading. Is there tooling small enough to get into a pen cap?

Texatdurango

Originally posted by buster

Ahhh, I get it now. The reason I was asking is that it seems easier to thread the barrel multilead than it is on the inside of the cap. Someone on the FPN site made it sound kind of simple to multilead thread on a lathe but didn't really get into internal threading. Is there tooling small enough to get into a pen cap?
You need to remember, even the most difficult tasks to most of us is a simple routine chore to some. I've talked to pen makers who make cutting multi-start threads, a walk in the park.

Yes, actually there are cutters small enough to thread the inside of a fountain pen nib feed housing. Threading is the main reason I just purchased a metal lathe and with a little luck will be cutting threads soon, then with a lot of luck, multi-start threads soon after that.

Chuck Key

Could you use a single threaded cap on a multilead barrel, or would that defeat the purpose.

I see that as a possibility though not the normal approach to multilead threads. As long as the thread in the cap matched one of the multileads in the barrel and the remainder of the treaded area on the cap is at the cap thread major diameter it would work. Some of that may be backwards but you get the idea. There would need to be extra clearance on the single thread to allow the multi threads to pass through. Getit?

Texatdurango

Originally posted by Chuck Key

...I see that as a possibility though not the normal approach to multilead threads. As long as the thread in the cap matched one of the multileads in the barrel and the remainder of the treaded area on the cap is at the cap thread major diameter it would work. Some of that may be backwards but you get the idea. There would need to be extra clearance on the single thread to allow the multi threads to pass through. Getit?
Buster, Just so you know who you are dealing with, Chuck Key is one of THEM! (The guys who make the difficult sound simple)[:p]

buster

Chuck Key is an old pro huh ? Where do you find the tooling for internal threading that small ? I'm having a hard time finding anything. It would help if I knew what I was looking for though. Tex, I was looking at your albums and I wanted to ask what is the dab of CA glue do exactly.

Texatdurango

Chuck Key is an old pro huh ? Where do you find the tooling for internal threading that small ? I'm having a hard time finding anything. It would help if I knew what I was looking for though. Tex, I was looking at your albums and I wanted to ask what is the dab of CA glue do exactly.
Try http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF?PMPAGE=388&PMITEM=09884461&PMCTLG=00 The part number of the cutter small enough for feed housings is hilighted.

As far as the dab of CA, you have me at a loss, what are you talking about?

bgray

Just so you understand fully....

Let's say that you are cutting 32 tpi quad lead threads.

What you are actually doing is cutting 4 threads at 8 tpi each, that are evenly spaced from each other.

So single lead threads at 32 tpi cannot possibly mate with 32 tpi quad lead threads.

You would be asking 32 tpi threads to mate with 8 tpi threads...can't happen.

Paul in OKC

Originally posted by bgray43050

Just so you understand fully....

Let's say that you are cutting 32 tpi quad lead threads.

What you are actually doing is cutting 4 threads at 8 tpi each, that are evenly spaced from each other.

So single lead threads at 32 tpi cannot possibly mate with 32 tpi quad lead threads.

You would be asking 32 tpi threads to mate with 8 tpi threads...can't happen.

Well put, that is what I meant to say:D. As for the tool at MSC, could you not even go a little bigger? I haven't done any mesuring, but I would want the biggest one that would go in the hole, just for support.

buster

Excellent, thanks for all the explanations. Sorry Tex, what I was talking about was something I saw in your photo section where you removed a nib from it's sleeve and put a dab of CA on it to keep ink out.

Texatdurango

Excellent, thanks for all the explanations. Sorry Tex, what I was talking about was something I saw in your photo section where you removed a nib from it's sleeve and put a dab of CA on it to keep ink out.
Oh that! I made some custom nib jackets and instead of threading the inside for the feed housing to screw into, I simply made a friction fit and added a drop of CA to bond and seal the two pieces together so when dipping the pen in ink, the ink wouldn't get up inside between the jacket and feed housing.

Texatdurango

Originally posted by Paul in OKC

...Well put, that is what I meant to say:D. As for the tool at MSC, could you not even go a little bigger? I haven't done any mesuring, but I would want the biggest one that would go in the hole, just for support.
Sorry, I was thinking he wanted the small cutter information after I mentioned they could cut internal threads in the feed housing. MSC is still a good source and they have several size cutters on the same page as well as some nice indexable cutters.

Paul in OKC

Originally posted by Texatdurango

Originally posted by Paul in OKC

...Well put, that is what I meant to say:D. As for the tool at MSC, could you not even go a little bigger? I haven't done any mesuring, but I would want the biggest one that would go in the hole, just for support.
Sorry, I was thinking he wanted the small cutter information after I mentioned they could cut internal threads in the feed housing. MSC is still a good source and they have several size cutters on the same page as well as some nice indexable cutters.
Quite right, I just had a tunnel vision on the one highlighted. My machinist brain looks at things like that. Some new at threading may need the smaller bar to feel comfortable 'pulling out' of the cut at the end. These bars being carbide will be pretty stable anyway. And your right, MSC is a great sorce of stuff. I can't think of the web site, but if you look up Monster Carbide, they have very small tools as well.

Chuck Key

Originally posted by Blind_Squirrel

I saw a tap that someone *cough* Chuck Key *cough* had ground down all of the teeth but one to make their own inexpensive cutter with.

What? No way, he can't do that! You mean stop by Lowes and pick up a $5.00 tap, grind it for a few minutes and start internal threading today vs ordering the $20.00 plus shipping threading tool from MSC and getting it later next week? No way.:):D[8D]

I'll bet he will be doing multi start threads with a single thread tap next.[:eek:)]

Texatdurango

Originally posted by Chuck Key

Originally posted by Blind_Squirrel

I saw a tap that someone *cough* Chuck Key *cough* had ground down all of the teeth but one to make their own inexpensive cutter with.

What? No way, he can't do that! You mean stop by Lowes and pick up a $5.00 tap, grind it for a few minutes and start internal threading today vs ordering the $20.00 plus shipping threading tool from MSC and getting it later next week? No way.:):D[8D]

I'll bet he will be doing multi start threads with a single thread tap next.[:eek:)]
I'll bet HE already has!:D

Top Bottom