Mulberry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
If the mulberry tree is large enough - the heart wood will be something like golden teak in color. At least the Japanese mulberry wood is. I have a slab of mulberry and it is beautiful for turning bowls. I almost did not recognize it at the local home center because instead of turning gray when it weathers, it turns chocolate brown - except for the sap wood. A good finish will greatly slow the wood from turning.

I asked the fellows where I bought it what kind of wood it was and they said "looks like elm to me". I said "but it is brown." They replied "Well, it is a different kind of Elm." I finally figured out that it was mulberry by seeing that wood and color in two other stores - and the name is Kuwa (mulberry).

I also have a mulberry tree in my yard. It is messy but LOML made some mulberry jam for me.

For a pen, it depends on the grain pattern and the cut. It is always great to have something unique around. If I were you, I would save some wood for bowls, plates or vases. I have made one 10 inch diameter 2 1/2 in deep bowl from it and LOML loves it.

Last edited:

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I have some from a tree from my daughters yard that was badly damaged from hurricane Rita. The wood reminds me a lot of osage orange in color and grain pattern. I have some that has begun to spalt and has very interesting grain patterns. As lee said, save some larger pieces for bowls and vases.

dogcatcher

The mulberry is a cousin to the Osage orange. Usually a lighter color and can have some interesting grain patterns. The smaller limbs about 1 1/2" in diameter can have some crazy grain. The crotch wood also can be awesome. At the same time there will be some that is real plain looking. Keep your chisels sharp!

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I got one piece of Mulberry and made a bowl from it. The wood looks amazing, it has some wonderful chatoyance and a nice golden color.

Top Bottom