mt1 VS mt2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

snyiper

Why is it prefered to have one over the other? I have a older lathe and it is MT1 and I can seem to get most anything I need for it...whats the difference?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

No real big difference. It just seems to be easier to find stuff for MT2. I know I have never seen the Beall Collet Chuck in MT1.

mrcook4570

MT2 is much more common and easier to find accessories in that taper. Also, there is significantly more contact surface in MT2 than MT1.

snyiper

What do you mean by contact surface? In the actual taper? I dont know but I bet it isnt as much as one would think!!

mrcook4570

Based on the dimensions posted at http://www.toolsandmods.com/morse-taper-dimensions.html, the surface area of the MT1 insert that contacts the lathe is 1605 square mm. The surface area of the MT2 insert that contacts the lathe is 2945 square mm, which is nearly twice as much area.

The contact surface transfers the power of the lathe to the mounted object. By restricting MT1 to only smaller machines, it is unlikely that you could mount something large enough that would overcome its driving force (friction).

snyiper

I can see that I can only swing perhaps a 9-10 in round blank so I guess the chances of overcoming that is minimal.

jleiwig

I think it's mainly a strength issue. On a MT2 drill chuck, The MT2 taper is .7" in diameter, an MT1 is .4". Almost twice the beef, and so in when you get to larger lathes and the MT3 taper.

Although I can't say I've ever seen any Beall collet chuck in a morse taper?

workinforwood

I don't think there's much of any difference overall. You can get parts for any MT size and if not, there's adaptors that you can use, so you can put a MT-2 into a MT-1 if you need to. If you have a MT1 taper, you probably have a micro machine and won't be able to turn anything that is too overbearing for the machine, so strength and surface area isn't such an issue. On a plus side, you don't have to over exert yourself picking up the dead center on that lathe..unlike mine which is an MT5 and practically needs a crane to pick up the dead center. Darn thing must weigh 25 lbs just the dead center. Even if that is an exageration, you don't want to drop it on your foot!

SonOfMartin

I found both my MT1 Jacob's at the local flea market - really. Guy's there every weekend with tools of all kinds. Last weekend I picked up an MT1 and an MT2 dead center in A+ condition for $10.

I see them all the time on eBay also.

KenV

It is a size - power thing -- The MT1s I have seen either have no threads or are on a 3/4 by 16 headstock. The 1 by 8 and larger headstocks have the thickness of section to handle the MT2 -

The old Ryobi (may it rest in peace) ran well for years with only one problem in the tailstock cured by a MT1 Reamer.

Sherline uses MT1 and MT0 on the micro lathes. MT1 is perfect for those building a pole lathe or a treadle lathe.

My sense is good and good --- just different in size.

jskeen

In General, it is not that accessories and such are not available for MT1 lathes, it's that MT2 is so much more common that it's easier to find the accessories CHEAPER. There are a few other advantages too. A MT1 drive center is usually smaller than the ID of the tubes on some pen kits, so that you can't really turn the cap on a FS Gent between centers with a MT1. You may find one that is big enough, but again, your gonna have to search, and it's probably not going to be a bargain. Also, most MT1 lathes use spindle threads smaller than 1"x8tpi, which means again that chucks, faceplates and collet holders will be either harder to find and more expensive, or will need an adapter, which adds cost, and possibility of runout. The smaller diameter of the taper also restricts the abiltiy to slide a workpiece back through a collet into the taper so as to support the end with the collet in threading and tapping operations.

Mac

Its kinda like building a hot rod, most guys use to use 350 chevy because of all the aftermarket parts and their price. I have seen many hot rods over the years and many makes and most had a 350 chevy for the motor.

chriselle

I have a Carbatec MT#1 lathe. Great little unit BTW. I agree with jskeen about the small diameter of the dead centers and the larger kit tubes. It's a bit of a pain if you are a between centers turner like myself. Easy enough to make your own dead center and use a collet chuck but still....

The only MT1 part I can't seem to find is a die holder.

Top Bottom