Mothers Day

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

knottyharry

Here is a pen I made for my mother-in-law for mothers day.
This is on a slim line frame.
Harry

20055974527_flowerpen-001.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

I really like the decal work you do. Looks professional but scares me to try as my luck with decals has never been good. Sounds dumb I know, but would love to see your steps in preparation, placement, and sealing of the decals. Are they special decals?

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
I'll bet you are her favorite son-in-law now for sure! Really neat, and I'll save others the effort of asking: How did you do the decal and what did you use to finish over it?

knottyharry

Ok here is the scoop.
Someone else did this a while back and gave me the idea.
But it wasn't hard to do at all.
This particular pen, ws done with decals that I got a Wal-Mart. They are in the section where the sewing stuff is at.
As for the preparation. I sanded it down to size and used Micro Mesh on it. Then I put about 3 coats of thin CA on it.
The decals come in a strip, and you just cut out the part you want.
I screwed up the first decal. I didn't red all the instructions. [:(]
There is a plastic coating that has to be peeled of first.
Then you place the decal on the baarrel, take a wet paper towel ( not soaking) but good and damp and press it to the back side of the decal. Do it a couple of times. Within a minute you can slide backing off. Just smooth it out if you need to. Wipe of any excess water on the barrel. Let it dry for a ittle bit. Then I put about 3 coates of CA over it. I put the CA on a paper towel and spread it on that way and let it dry between coates. Then I go back over it with Micro Mesh. Polish it, and your done.
Give it a try it isn't hard to do.
Harry

knottyharry

After thought,
Well i'm the only son-in-law[:D]
I don't remember who posted this first, but JoAnn's fabrics has decals also. Other places may have them too.
I would look at the different craft places in your area.
One thing, on the back of the paper (of the one I had) there was a grey patten of the picture. So use it for placement.
If you do a search in here for decals, I'm sure you can find the article I am referring to.
It really was easy.....try it.
Harry

rtgleck

Great work Harry... Thanks for the description of how you do it. My mother is retiring in about a month and that Might make a great retirment present for her. Nice work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom