The most foul smelling...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

...blank I have cut or turned yet has to be Acrylic Acetate. The stuff actually gives me a headache and smells so bad even through my filter mask.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
You guys should have had my job as a crime scene tech. ALL this stuff smells GOOOOOOOD! Even gator jaw, deer antler, ebonite, stabelized jock straps, etc. Nothing smells like a three week old cadaver in mid July. Just turn, turn, turn, inhale, inhale, inhale, Tell yourself it smells good, then take a deep breath, stand in front of a mirror, look yourself in the eye and in the most masculine voice you can muster say "LIAR"!!!!! :eek::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

crabcreekind

I am used to it now, but it does smell nasty. A girl told me it smells like a nail salon when i turned a pen in class. But you can always use a respirator and not smell a thing.

SCR0LL3R

Thanks for the warning, from a new turner. I think that I'll be staying away from that stuff.
Len

You may want to form your own opinion. Just buy one and see, it's only $3 or so. I wasn't joking when I said it smells sorta like berries to me.

OKLAHOMAN

Gator to me has always been the worse, not so much when turning but when cutting, can't compare it to Joe's stalized jock as I flat refuse to smell it:wink::biggrin:

Brooks803

my biggest issue with acrylic acetate is the smell AFTER it's finished. I got a pen in a swap last christmas and EVERY time I open it to use it I get a big whiff of that smell.

watch_art

Yeah - what do you do to get rid of the smell? I've run one pen through an ultrasonic cleaner with soapy ammonia water and it helped some... but not enough. It's like all the rough surfaces just offgas constantly.

drgoretex

Hmm. I love the smell of acrylic in the morning....smells like...victory. Over the blank that is.

Ken

The Penguin

You guys should have had my job as a crime scene tech. ALL this stuff smells GOOOOOOOD! Even gator jaw, deer antler, ebonite, stabelized jock straps, etc. Nothing smells like a three week old cadaver in mid July. Just turn, turn, turn, inhale, inhale, inhale, Tell yourself it smells good, then take a deep breath, stand in front of a mirror, look yourself in the eye and in the most masculine voice you can muster say "LIAR"!!!!! :eek::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
when I was in college, I volunteered for the Marine Mammal Stranding Network.

they never called us out for the live ones.

SCR0LL3R

my biggest issue with acrylic acetate is the smell AFTER it's finished. I got a pen in a swap last christmas and EVERY time I open it to use it I get a big whiff of that smell.

Jeez, there must be different types of acrylic acetate or something because I don't notice any smell on the pen after it's completed. The ones I use originate from Berea Hardwoods. The only smell I get is while drilling or turning and I wouldn't really call it foul smelling.

Berea Hardwood Acrylic Acetate Pen Blanks

Top Bottom