Most expensive pen blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
NOT including autions.
It seems many of us have an obsession with this thing called pen crafting and the expenses that come with it.
What is the most expensive pen BLANK you have ever purchased?
It can be of any kind of material.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

$35.00 for piano kit blank from Ken. But that may be called a kit.
So my secound most expensive blank would be $15.00 for a 25mm rod of ebonite.

gerryr

Unidentified very hard wood from Bonaire. About $800 for airfare and another $900 to spend a week there plus food.[:D][:D] Oh, but I did get enough to make 4 pens.

JimGo

My most expensive blanks were the ones I got in the starter kit from PSI; I think they were Honduran Rosewood or something like that. I wound up buying a new lathe, MANY more blanks, kits, MicroMesh, additional tools, a band saw, two different drill presses, pen kits, finishes, and a BUNCH of other stuff because of them!

Chuck Key

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />
Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />
Originally posted by gerryr
<br />Unidentified very hard wood from Bonaire. About $800 for airfare and another $900 to spend a week there plus food.[:D][:D] Oh, but I did get enough to make 4 pens.

That's cheating. [:p]

No, he went with his wife! [:D]

And the bill was only $1700 [?]

gerryr

Originally posted by Chuck Key
<br />
Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />
Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />
Originally posted by gerryr
<br />Unidentified very hard wood from Bonaire. About $800 for airfare and another $900 to spend a week there plus food.[:D][:D] Oh, but I did get enough to make 4 pens.

That's cheating. [:p]

No, he went with his wife! [:D]

And the bill was only $1700 [?]

Oops, I forgot to add my wife and son's airfare plus their accomodations plus their food.

Schneider

I agree with JimGo. My most expensive blank were the ones my friend gave me for free which lead to a new lathe and drill press and etc. etc. etc. etc..........................

chigdon

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />My most expensive blanks were the ones I got in the starter kit from PSI; I think they were Honduran Rosewood or something like that. I wound up buying a new lathe, MANY more blanks, kits, MicroMesh, additional tools, a band saw, two different drill presses, pen kits, finishes, and a BUNCH of other stuff because of them!

You nailed it on the head -- ain't that the truth!

chigdon

Probably some desert ironwood burl that was getting in the 30-40 range. I will be jumping off the mammoth ivory cliff sometime soon however.

redfishsc

I'd like to offer everyone a discount on 4 Bonaire wood blanks. I'll knock a hundred bucks off. Send me $1600 and I'll send ya 4 unidentified "Bonaire" wood blanks. Just let me know if you want "Bonaire" written on the blank in white grease pencil or silver sharpie.

I think I paid $10 for a stabilized blank at Woodcraft that flew to pieces b/c of a fatal inclusion in it. They replaced it, I re-turned it, and all was well.

penbros

where do you guys buy your snakewood? bellforestproducts has snakewood blanks for $5 each. BTW I think the most expensive blank for me was $6.50 for quilted bubinga. My mom bought it for me, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom