Most Durable of Materials?? Opinions needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jmbaker79

Ok, so lets say we are taking this pen hiking through the rugged wilderness, and need to be sure that it functions when you reach the other side. What would you consider the most durable of materials for the body/cap of a pen. Looking for opinions. So obviously no Lucite, etc, wood (prob not, moisture), trustone fragile, etc etc etc...Damascus steel would have been nice....I am thinking some sort of M3 style blank? I have not worked with ebonite for some reason, but as a hard rubber, does it seem durable or prone to fail. something that wouldnt absolutely crack if dropped, or dissolve in water is the plan. Fully open to suggestions of out of the box materials. I do not have a metal lathe, so no solid metal body option for me...unless, I may know a person or two....I am planning on Stainless Steel for the components, prob the best option i think. Just Brainstorming with some guidance hopefully!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

Corian can take a lot of abuse and there are a lot of good looking choices. I assume want something that looks good and not just indestructible. If good looks don't matter, then turning it out of a rod of nylon would make for a pretty indestructible (but not real pretty) pen.

Ed

jmbaker79

Oh yeah, thats the most important part, not looking for a pretty pen!! Which is kinda the opposite of what I am use to. Indestructible is a good avenue!!

If you don't want a pretty pen go with the nylon, but don't rule wood out. In a past life I worked in the hydro turbine industry, we used lignum vitae for bearings. This stuff is so dense it doesn't float. But you have to make sure you get true lignum vitae. It is naturally oily so you could probably sand to 800-1000 and buff no other finish.

Mike

jmbaker79

Didnt Think of Lignum, dont think i want to go that route though, but will keep that in the back of my mind...Thanks

Top Bottom