Most Common Drill Bits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pen-turners

The majority of my pen kits use 7mm, 10mm and 3/8. There are many other kits that use other sizes but for the more common kits these are what are used.

Chris

daledut

All of my commonly made kits can be done with 7mm, 8mm, and 10mm. However I use "J", "O", and "X" since they are slightly larger than the metric. Makes it easier to get the tubes in when gluing. I also use PU glue that expands. Works for me.

Gary

Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />Where do you find a cheap 17/32 for the Gentlemans pen...?

I don't know what you consider "cheap", but I got mine from BB. They are high quality, and that's what I look for.

jimr

Speaking of bits. I just got some kits and bits from BB in Ariz. and the biggest bit is 15/32. That is a big bit. I have never used one that large in a pen. It is a very high quality twist bit. I am having a problem gettting it started into a blank dead centered. It always moves a little. sometimes this can get dangerously close to the edge of the blank, even with 13/16 blanks. It drills extremely true, even in cocobolo. How do you guys make sure the bit starts cutting exactly in the center? Or do this kits just require extra size blanks.

Gary

It can definately be a problem. I try to go extremely slow when starting to drill. Just barely "kiss" the surface of the wood and give the bit time to get started. Any quick early pressure and the bit will often start off center. At least that's been my experience. And I like to use 7/8" blanks if possible for those big bits.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
The only tricks I know of are a steady drilling jig of your choice and a truly square drill press table. Go slow, nibbling your way through. I've made several Barons, which use the 15/32" bit out of 5/8" blanks, but I hold my breath a bit.

GregD

Just a suggestion, once you have found the center, center punch it.The bit will follow into the small hole created by the punch and not walk off to one side or the other.

Gary

Originally posted by GregD
<br />Just a suggestion, once you have found the center, center punch it.The bit will follow into the small hole created by the punch and not walk off to one side or the other.

Duh!Why didn't I think of that[:0]

Fred in NC

Center punch, or even center drill it. A short drill of smaller diameter, say 1/8", will make a good pilot hole. Short drills are easy to make by the way ....

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />The only tricks I know of are a steady drilling jig of your choice and a truly square drill press table. Go slow, nibbling your way through. I've made several Barons, which use the 15/32" bit out of 5/8" blanks, but I hold my breath a bit.

Wow, Lou, you must have sworn off caffeine! If I tried to drill a 5/8" blank with a 15/32" drill, instead of holding my breath, I would be out of breath from using some of the words I learned in the Navy![:0]

jwoodwright

This is why I go with the B&D Bullet Bits. Even using 3/8 holes I start with a bullet. Just Break the surface.

Learned the hard way...[:(] Drilled through with a 9/32 bullet and then used a 3/8 to finish, still looking for pieces...[xx(]

jimr

I think I just need to go as slow as possible when the bit touches the wood. I have tried center punching and a smaller bit at first. On the large twist bit the angle of the point is so large it doesnt' want to seat perfectly true. But at least I now know that I am not the only one who has had this problem. Thanks for the tips.

Fred in NC

A center drill is good for this use. It is a short drill with a smaller drill at the end that will not wander. A set of 5 is about $5. Pic at:

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1230

The largest is 5/16, which will center even the larger drills we
use.

Rifleman1776

When I started with pens, I found most of my blanks off center at the bottom. I tried a number of things to fix this. Then I got smart and double checked the square of my table with the spindle, it was off by a tiny amount. Not enough to notice with larger work but on pen blanks it was a whole whoop. I bought a cross-slide machinists drill press vice and now use that to precisely center the blank under the bit, a good investment and I can use it for other things. I like brad point bits and slow speed. I have had good luck buyng import tools from a local store that sells stuff really cheap. [8D] For other drilling with standard bits, I got a Drill Doctor from Santa Claus two years ago and love it. Nothing like a sharp drill to do the job properly. Slow speed, sharp drill, hold tight and square. And back out frequently to clear chips, do not let the work overheat. I do a lot of duck calls and use a 3/4" bit for those. Drilling into end grain of hardwoods with a bit that large produces a lot of heat. [}:)] I learned the hard way after blowing several that going slow is much better than forcing the issue.

GregD

Back to the original question of this thread which is, Most common drill bits. We have 7mm, 8mm, 10mm,3/8", 15/32", 17/32,J,O,and x. Are there any others?

Fleabit

Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />Where do you find a cheap 17/32 for the Gentlemans pen...?

Going cheap on drill bits will cause you more problems than you want. Spend the money on good drill bits and they will last you a long time and be worth the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom