Most comfortable writer? Opinions please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodscavenger

I do a lot of writing at the hospital[xx(] and I am looking to make myself a pen that can write all day long[^] but also looks great:D. I have been gravitating to the Gentlemans roller/fountain pen. It has the slightly concave barrel right before the nib which looks great but also looks really comfortable. Or is the Baron a better choice. Also what refill does the Gentleman and Baron take as far as the rollerball types?

Opinions are very welcome, in fact encouraged. Thanks ahead of time.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wayneis

The differences between the Gent. the Jr. Gent and the Baron is going to be the sizes of the nibs, where you hold the pen between your fingers. The Gent is the largest and the Jr. Gent is next and the smallest would be the Baron. So it will all depend on your feel of these different pens. I like all three and couldn't pick a favorite if I had to, I keep one of each on my desk and use them all. (Not at the same time though) The only thing that I can suggest is to give them a try and see for your self which one fits your fingers best.

Wayne

Fred in NC

Well, Wayne, if you wanted, you could use at least two at the same time !!! I am not kidding !!! Hear this:

"We know so much about (Thomas) Jefferson because he retained copies of his correspondence. How to make those copies was a challenge in the 1700's. Jefferson owned several polygraphs, machines based on the pantograph, invented in the 1600's. The polygraph used a set of rigid rods to allow one pen to duplicate the action of the writer's pen. The copies were quite accurate. Jefferson owned several polygraphs."

Now you know the way, no more photocopies!!!

Gary

The Baron also has a different shape at the place where you hold it to write. It has multiple faces at that point whereas the others are round. Some don't like it as well for that very reason. As was stated earlier, you just need to try each of them.

woodscavenger

I would love to do all three, one each in rollerball and FP but my wife doesn't give me that big of an allowance yet so I need to decide on one. I am leaning to the Jr. now because I do not have the enormous 37/64 bit required for the GENT and a $20 bit for one pen is a little bit much for me right now.

Gary

Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />I would love to do all three, one each in rollerball and FP but my wife doesn't give me that big of an allowance yet so I need to decide on one. I am leaning to the Jr. now because I do not have the enormous 37/64 bit required for the GENT and a $20 bit for one pen is a little bit much for me right now.

Shane, you can't go wrong with the Jr. Gent. It's a really nice kit and looks great.

Gary

I really like the rollerball cartridge that comes with the Jr. Gent. Man, it writes so smooth and even! Watch out though...it writes on your hand too.

pen-turners

Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />I do a lot of writing at the hospital[xx(] and I am looking to make myself a pen that can write all day long[^] but also looks great[:D]. I have been gravitating to the Gentlemans roller/fountain pen. It has the slightly concave barrel right before the nib which looks great but also looks really comfortable. Or is the Baron a better choice. Also what refill does the Gentleman and Baron take as far as the rollerball types?

Opinions are very welcome, in fact encouraged. Thanks ahead of time.

I would also go with the Jr. Gent as my first choice. A close second would be the Polaris or Patriot kit. At first I did not like these although once I started using them I grew to love the feel of them in the hand. Because of the 3/8" tube, it cuts down on weight but the larger size is great for writing for long periods without cramping. Just my opinion.

Chris

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I have to agree with the Atlas (Polaris?Patriot) being an extremely comfortable pen to write with... I also was sceptical at first... change the ballpoint refill to a gel ink refill and it writes even nicer...
In the class of rollerballs, the CSU 10K Executive does not get much press, but it is also a very nice pen to write with..

G

I have a customer who is a nurse in the pediatrics ward at the hospital.
Her personal taste in the appearnace of the commissioned pen doesn't pertain to your post, but the ONE thing she was adamant about was it HAD to be a click pen.
I don't know if your postition at teh hospital is "on the floor" or "behind a desk".
She explained that Holding a "chart" and having to operate a "twist" or a roller ball would be extremely cumbersome.
A "click" it was. I customized a Power point "click" from PSI.
clunkyoutrageous%20pen%20003.jpg

G

Originally posted by Fred in NC
<br />Well, Wayne, if you wanted, you could use at least two at the same time !!! I am not kidding !!! Hear this:

"We know so much about (Thomas) Jefferson because he retained copies of his correspondence. How to make those copies was a challenge in the 1700's. Jefferson owned several polygraphs, machines based on the pantograph, invented in the 1600's. The polygraph used a set of rigid rods to allow one pen to duplicate the action of the writer's pen. The copies were quite accurate. Jefferson owned several polygraphs."

Now you know the way, no more photocopies!!!
Fred I read your post three times before it hit me,don't you mean pantographs?I think a "polygraph" is otherwise known as a Lie Detector

woodscavenger

I've got click pens coming out my ears. I am well versed in the one hand twist pen motion so that does not bother me. I want a pen that I can sit down with a patients' chart and write the type of monologue required each day by medicare/medicaid/ambulance chasers/chart monitors and not have a massive hand cramp or white knuckles from gripping a pen so tight. Also, the look and feel of the wood are part of what helps keep my sanity through the day until I get home to my family and my woodshop.

G

In that case(I one hand em too) a roller ball or gel and any style that suits you.
If you make it and it doesn't feel"right" make another!

Fred in NC

An accountant bought a cigar pen from me for that reason. He examined and tested the pen very carefully before he handed over the money. It takes gel refills also.

jkirkb94

As a fellow medical person, I would recommend a modified European style. You can turn the lower barrel to a larger diameter that fits your grip. Penn State Industries carries an 8mm European that accepts a Parker style refill. You know how much ink we go through! I do <u>not</u> recommend a gel style refill in a pen that you put in and out of a pocket. Found out the hard way when the ink leached out onto my pocket accidently when I didn't retract the tip.[:(] I recently bought a small batch of click style and hope to try to sell some to fellow employee. We RN's tend to use the clicks. I also have been consciously working to not grip and push down so hard when I write. Having developed carpal tunnel is good insentive![:D] What do you do in the hospital? Kirk[8D]

woodscavenger

Thanks for all of your comments. I just put in an order for a Baron. After talking to BB on the phone he convinced me to try that one vs. the Jr Gent. I also ordered a russian olive burl and some of the curly poplar in brown and 2 curly koa blanks. So many choices, not enough time or money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom