More Than PenTurning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rebfan04

I admit it, I'm hooked on Pen Turning. But I would like to learn how to turn a bowl. I live in Mississippi. Does anyone know of any lessons that are offered here in this area, does not have to be in Mississippi.
Thanks Roger

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Dig in and do it.Just take it slow and you will learn from your mistakes.I am self taught and i'm sure alot of others on here are too.You will learn from experience.Watch some videos and start with a soft wood.It is fairly easy and you will be surprised how fast you will learn.

steeler fan1

I admit it, I'm hooked on Pen Turning. But I would like to learn how to turn a bowl. I live in Mississippi. Does anyone know of any lessons that are offered here in this area, does not have to be in Mississippi.
Thanks Roger

Roger;

Check for turning clubs in your area. Rockler, Woodcraft and other woodworking stores offer classes, some are free, some have a fee. Also check youtube. Do a search on bowl turning and you'll find a mirad of videos.

Good luck on the bowls.

Carl

wjbowling

Roger,

You should also check classes at your local Woodcraft store. If there is nothing scheduled, you can request a class, but I am sure there will be something.

Wes

LeeR

If you do not have a Rockler or WoodCraft nearby, but maybe a nice woodworking store, try that. We have a small wood store / mill shop in our town and they teach all kinds of classes.

Also, I've learned a lot from watching You Tube videos on turning. You just need to search with a few key words to find all kinds of lathe tutorials.

Finally, if all else fails,you could buy a book from Amazon! :biggrin: ( I actally own several books on turning, and several books on pen making. Sometimes there is nothing like flipping the pages of a book.)

Mac

AAW is the way to go. Go to www.woodturner.org then to, find a chapter. click in your state. Don't know where in Mississippi you live but several AAW clubs listed. I think you will find several pen turners in these clubs that have never herd of IAP. And turns out alot here have never herd of the AAW. Most have monthly meetings and have demos. Lots of knowledge in these clubs.

ctubbs

I highly recommend the use of a very good face shield and a hard hat if you have one. When the blank bounces off your forehead, well let us just say, soft wood does not help. Aint none of it soft enough! Please DAMHIKT
Charles

Yeah i forgot to mention You should always wear a face shield at the lathe and take light cuts and start with a very small and shallow bowl or tray.Everybody has to learn on their own even if you take a class.Just watch the videos on youtube and you will be set.good Luck

Last edited:

KenV

And you are within driving distance of Arrowmont and Campbell Folk School who both offer training classes -- Basic turning classes are offered as are specialty classes.

AAW Chapters or other turning clubs are great places to connect with other local turners.

There are some other vendors besides Woodcraft and Rocklers that offer classes. Paying for training is not cheap, but it builds skills faster with fewer bad habits. Good training costs about $100 a day and you are worth it.

Top Bottom