A Moral Dilemma

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

emtmike

The other day at work one of the ladies I work with asked me to build a special pen for her husband who was graduating from a local trade school. I said I would be happy to make what she wanted. Then it happened. I know that the “customer is always right†but what she wanted was something I knew I could not bring myself to do. I take pride in the fact that I work hard to make my pens the finest they can be. I think of it as an art. Her husband was finishing his journeymen in pluming. She wanted me to make a cigar pen out of an exotic wood, my choice, and she wanted me to make the top tube look like a plunger. What would you do?:(

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wudwrkr

You may want to see if you can find a smaller plunger that you could fit the rubber part on the end of the pen for packaging. That way the effect is there, but the integrity of the pen (and the turner [:D]) stays intact.

Good Luck!

JimGo

I like the laser engraving and holder ideas. I had thought about suggesting a simple plunger-shape stopper to go on the end, but that's going to be tough to find. I wonder if there isn't another tool you could suggest instead. Or a different material, such as making it out of copper or some of the solid PVC that I've seen sold here (and elsewhere). They would be in keeping with the spirit of the pen while giving you the ability to both try new materials and make something of the caliber you desire.

kgwaugh

yeah, it would be difficult to turn the flare of the plunger and keep things "flush" with the bushings...

sorry...[}:)]...(retired plumber)

Gene
Elgin, Illinois USA

Johnathan

I really like the idea of having the pen nice and straight like the handle of the plunger then you could create a pen stand to set it in in the shape of a plunger. The pen would look great by itself. The customer is always right until you feel that the product would not represent your artwork and ability.

chigdon

I agree the plunger base as a pen holder is a great idea. Also you could get a cigar kit with the copper finish for all of the copper pipe he works with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom