Moose Antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

clthayer

I have turned three pens out of a pair of these babies.
2006103124639_100_1885.jpg

The first was a nickel plated 300 mag slimline, which was given to the gentleman who gave me the antlers.
These are the second and third

2006103125255_100_1892.jpg

2006103125326_100_1896.jpg

The question I have for all of you is this. Some of the antler sections are rough. They didn't smooth out during sanding. Is this the pithy part that I have heard about in other posts? It didn't seem soft, was quite firm. If it is the pithy section, what do I do to smooth it out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Christian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fiferb

I fill the deer antler I turn with a medium or thick CA. Use several coats if necessary to fill in all the pores. Then you can sand it smooth and shiny.

DocStram

Bruce is right. Before gluing in the tube, drip thin ca down the inside. Then glue in the tube. Once you start turning, use thin ca followed by a little thick ca. When you finish turning, thin ca again while sanding. I usually use the Beall 3 wheel system on mine. But, I'm certain you'll get lots of different ideas about the process.

I have found that sometimes, my buyers like the rough feel of the pen, but personally, I agree with all said here..fill and smooth.
cool pens though.. I like doing the horn.

What caliber of cartridge did you use[?][?].... and since I don't hunt or own guns, what is a good source of the cartridges[?][?] can you buy them from sports stores for the reloaders[?]

clthayer

The cartridge in the pic is 308. I bought two boxes of 20 from Midway. Shipping was a bit steep though.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=381757
These come without the primer in them so you don't have to press them out.
Christian

We have a Legends sport outlet in Athens.. about 30 miles away and a Gander Mountain just north of Knoxville.. since I'm in both cities periodically, shipping isn't problem.. is the 308 same size as slimline nib?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom