Montblanc in trouble

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Grvado

India court snub for luxury Gandhi pen

_46485494_montblancap.jpg
The sale of a Montblanc pen to mark Gandhi's birth has angered many

German pen maker Montblanc has apologised unconditionally to a court in southern India for a luxury pen containing images of Mahatma Gandhi.
The firm told the court in Kerala state it would suspend sales of the $24,000 (£16,000) pen until a ruling on whether it could continue to sell it in India.
Opponents of the pricey pen argue that it is an inappropriate way of honouring a man who was known for his austerity.
The gold and silver limited edition pen includes an engraving of Gandhi.
Mahatma Gandhi is seen as the father of Indian independence and revered as a global spiritual leader.
Golden thread
The Centre for Consumer Education in Kerala filed a lawsuit last autumn to try to stop the Montblanc pen being distributed.
It argues that the pen is in breach of a 1950 Indian law prohibiting the improper use of emblems and names.
While the court deliberates, the company has promised to put sales on hold.
"We have agreed to stop selling the pen until the court decides on the matter," Pankaj Shah, director of International Trading Private Limited, which distributes Montblanc pens in India, told the BBC.
Just 241 of the handmade pens will be sold, reflecting the number of miles Gandhi walked in his famous march against salt taxes in 1930.
Each pen comes with an eight-metre golden thread that can be wound around the pen, representing the spindle and cotton Gandhi used to weave simple cloth.
Mr Shah said 42 of the 70 pens "allotted" for India had already been sold since they were launched in early October.
Gandhi's great-grandson Tushar Gandhi has endorsed the idea. His charitable foundation has already received a donation of $145,000 from Montblanc and will receive between $200 and $1,000 for each pen sold.
For those who find the pen a little out of their price range, there is a more affordable version - there are 3,000 roller ball and fountain pens on sale for about $3,000 each.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bree

Well here goes... my politics emerge... what a ridiculous intrusion on commerce! The company respectfully makes a fine writing instrument with the assent of the heir and makes a substantial donation to his charity and the Indians dredge up some 1950 law to stop the sale of the product. This would be like the US stopping Montblanc from marketing a George Washington pen or a Martin Luther King pen.

Montblanc ought to pull the allotment to India and simply sell it outside India. They will sell out the entire run. And if India wants to boot Montblanc... adios!!
:mad::mad::mad:

Oh... and I don't see the Indian government thinking about Gandhi's austerity as they suck the life out of the US Information Technology industry and others... undercutting US labor rates with their cheap labor and revel in their new found wealth.

Last edited:

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I find it offensive. Just like images of Jesus on megabuck artwork.

I am curious if you are equally opposed to some of the great pieces of religious art, the "Last Supper", the "Black Madonna of Częstochowa", the numerous depitions of the Adoration of the Magi from the 15th through 18th centuries or the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel just to name a few examples. Those would all qualify as the megabuck artwork of their day.

Is there some inherent difference between the above one off works of art, each commissioned by a wealthy patron and now possessing the veneer of history, and modern depictions of religious or spiritual figures which can be mass produced?

DurocShark

I would have been at the time. There's no denying they are great works of art however.

I watched the Crystal Cathedral being built (I used to live in SoCal) and felt the same way then. I work in a mega-church full time and hate some of the things we do. The trappings of money in religion really bug me. But there is an argument for that as well... Trappings of money attract the money that the church uses to do good around the world.

I'm not saying I'm right, and I don't believe the government should be involved, nor should anybody stop them from trying to sell it. I'm just saying I find it offensive and that the thing is in very poor taste. A gold thread to represent the coarse cotton threads Ghandi used? Sigh.

Russianwolf

just because his heir approved doesn't mean squat to me.

MLK Jr.'s heirs hired a PR firm to do some work towards the MLK Jr Memorial in Washington. Then they decided no to pay the bill (I was the accountant for the PR firm at the time). Just because you are the heir to a famous person with character, doesn't mean you share that character.

In this case I think the government is standing for what the person would have been against as much as anything. It's not in keeping with the man. But they aren't doing it just because they can, but because many Indians have protested including some very prominent/affluent Indians.

And no, comparisons to George Washington aren't valid as he was a gentrified land owner. The only other person that I could come up with that might be a suitable comparison would be Mother Theresa. These are people who took vows of poverty yet were able to get their message to the masses.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
The whole subject of the incorporation of religious or spiritual figures in art opens a real can of worms. Two obvious elements are intent and effect.

Some of this art is clearly intended to inspire, like the symbolism of the hand of God giving life to Adam on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, whereas there is the opposite extreme where the clear intent of some art is to defame some religion or faith.

In between these two extremes in a vast sea of ambiguity where the intent is unclear, and may simply be to make money, but may have the effect of providing inspiration. If someone of Polish heratage derives great spiritual inspiration from having a print of the "Black Madonna of Częstochowa" in their home, does it really matter if the print maker was just in it for money?

On the opposite side of this notion, what if I create a work of religious art with the intent of spiritual inspiration, but due to a lack of skill or ignorance of the significance of some elements incorporated into my design, actually causes offence to the audience I hoped to inspire.

Does my intent make my efforts somehow superior to the guy who was just in it for the money but actually managed to inspire people?

I really doubt there is any good answer to any of this from a public policy perspective because you end up with some government bureaucrat meddling in what should be the domain of faith.

Last edited:

DurocShark

I really doubt there is any good answer to any of this from a public policy perspective because you end up with some government bureaucrat meddling in what should be the domain of faith.

Absolutely. My (and anybody else's) personal feelings about this should NOT EVER be used as a reason to legislate or prohibit the sale.

This is where I really get militant about laws that cannot be clearly defined. Is anybody harmed either physically or financially by the sale of the Ghandi pen? No. That should be where the line is drawn for legislation.

Just because I'm bothered by something doesn't mean I should attempt to force my opinion on others.

JerrySambrook

Don,
Thank You for opening this fracas with your disent. :peace:
It is the longest I have ever seen Eric (holmqer) post anything.
Heck, I am 50 feet from him right now, and have been for a few years, and still have not heard him say that much in that time. :biggrin:

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Folks, this is an interesting discussion so far. Please try to keep your posts and opinions safely within the Terms of Service. Religion and politics (and money!) can get heated if we aren't careful.

For more excitement visit the Bash Forum!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I avoided this thread, figuring it was going to descend after I read the first couple entries.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I agree with Cav.

Bree

I avoided this thread, figuring it was going to descend after I read the first couple entries.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I agree with Cav.

I have been nice. I said what I have to say and stand by it. Others are entitled to their opinions.
:cool::cool::cool:

Top Bottom