Mont Blanc Meisterstuck kit?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jbswearingen

Heya folks, I'm looking for a kit that looks like a Mont Blanc Meisterstuck pen. A friend would like one. To me, it looks like a Euro style pen. Any thoughts?

http://global.dubli.com/aimg/d1/meisterstuck_ballpoint_pen1_d.jpg

meisterstuck_ballpoint_pen1_d.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

76winger

I've made some some Designer rollerball from PSI that look close, especially when you get the optional black final to top it off with. The one in the lower row, far left is it. If you can do it in a closed end you'd have the body covered as well, but that one has the stepped tube inside which might create some challenges.

PenMan1

Hi Brad:
It is similar to a European. HOWEVER, if your friend has used the MB 164 (the pen in your photo), he will likely be VERY disappointed in the writing performance of a "kit" European. MOST, if not all of the "kit" Europeans use Cross style BP refills. EVEN THE BEST QUALITY Cross sized refills will NOT perform as well as the Mont Blanc.

In this situation, I would make a Perfect Fit Convertible (Berea). The Perfect Fit uses a Parker style refill or a Schmidt .05 or .07 pencil mechanism without modification. I make and sell between 300-400 of these per year. I DO make a domed top to replace the standard "flat top" Perfect fit top, and customized the center band. THEN, we load the PF with a Private Reserve EZ FLOW refill.

I collect MBs, so we then let the customer compare the Perfect to the MB 164. The perfect outperforms the MB in every category, it writes better, the transmission is smoother, and the Rhodium or Gold TN finishes hold up better than the MB.

Needless to say, we call these the Mont Blanc Slayers.

Respectfully submitted.

jbswearingen

Dave--

Thanks, I'll show him that.

penman--

I told him the same thing--the Euro style have a crappy (IMO) Cross cartridge; not worth the effort.

I appreciate the help, folks!

Carl Fisher

Berea does offer a euro twist that uses a parker refill. I had to build one for a customer not long ago.

That being said, it was one of the most finicky kits I've ever had to build and I'll not be doing another. The perfect fit sounds like the ticket.

PenMan1

I've been making the Perfect Fits for a LONG time (since before the upgraded finishes became readily available). I've never gotten one back for mechanical problems.....because a customer ran over it and cracked the barrels, yes.... But the tranny was perfect.

PenMan1

The only difficulty in making the Perfect Fit is getting past the "left handed" instructions. THERE IS NO NEED TO CUT A TENON. Just cut the upper tube to 1 7/8 inches, then glue the tube flush in the other end. You can even make a "production jig" to cut multiple blanks to 1 7/8 inches. DAMHIKT:)

76winger

The Perfect Fit Convertible looks like a good one to check out. I like the the convertible option. PSI also has a "Premium Designer" that uses 8mm tubes and parker refills that I like pretty well, but the clips that come with them are different from the look on the Mont Blancs and they only come in 24k plating so far.

PenMan1

The top/clip retainer threads in the PF are the same as the designer domed finials. CSUSA sells threaded studs and a stud mandrel (cheap 3-6 dollars, I think) and you make any fenial you want.

If his "artwork" is 2 diminsional, you could use a water slide over the flat top and seal with CA? Of someone there might be able to laser engrave your top?

PenMan1

Brad:
The art work you linked seems simple enough to make into a properly sized water slide decal and the seal it under CA on the PF "Flat top".

jbswearingen

Cool. Thanks for the help. I'll take the links and show him what's available. He used to have a 164 and lost it some time back. He'd rather have a hand-made pen than a machine-made. I'll probably have him help me make it.

alamocdc

Hi Brad:
It is similar to a European. HOWEVER, if your friend has used the MB 164 (the pen in your photo), he will likely be VERY disappointed in the writing performance of a "kit" European. MOST, if not all of the "kit" Europeans use Cross style BP refills. EVEN THE BEST QUALITY Cross sized refills will NOT perform as well as the Mont Blanc.

In this situation, I would make a Perfect Fit Convertible (Berea). The Perfect Fit uses a Parker style refill or a Schmidt .05 or .07 pencil mechanism without modification. I make and sell between 300-400 of these per year. I DO make a domed top to replace the standard "flat top" Perfect fit top, and customized the center band. THEN, we load the PF with a Private Reserve EZ FLOW refill.

I collect MBs, so we then let the customer compare the Perfect to the MB 164. The perfect outperforms the MB in every category, it writes better, the transmission is smoother, and the Rhodium or Gold TN finishes hold up better than the MB.

Needless to say, we call these the Mont Blanc Slayers.

Respectfully submitted.

FWIW, Berea makes an 6mm Euro wirth a black finial and it uses a Parker style refill. These are the only Euros I turn.

PenMan1

I've made the 8mm Round Top, but opted to change over to the Perfect Fit. The 8 mm is a good product, but I've had issues with the left or right twist not being fully retacted and ruining dress shirts.

This is really a CUSTOMER issue and not a pen issue, but I no longer make these or cigar pens because of this. BUT, I'm wondering if the domed top is close to the PF clip size.......Hum, I'll bet I one or two of these laying around somewhere.

Thanks for the ideas!

Top Bottom