Mont Blanc

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jbeyer

I was wondering if anyone knows what Mont Blanc pens are made of... the blank... not nib etc...

I like the jet black look of it...

Jonathan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

And those are their words! Thats a high class way of saying "PLASTIC" Mrs. Robinson just said to Dustin get into plastic and Mont Blanc said yep that's some Precious Resin:wink::biggrin::rolleyes:
Precious Resin .

Last edited:

bgray

This is a huge issue with fountain pen aficionados.

As LBD says, it's precious resin. As Oklahoman says, it's plastic.

Both are correct. MB touts an amazing "Precious Resin" in their marketing.

It's plastic that costs them less then 5 cents per inch.

Mark

Yeah, mines plastic too. That's one of the pens, I'm going to make a new body for (when I get that good)

chriselle

This is a huge issue with fountain pen aficionados.

As LBD says, it's precious resin. As Oklahoman says, it's plastic.

Both are correct. MB touts an amazing "Precious Resin" in their marketing.

It's plastic that costs them less then 5 cents per inch.

This is part of the reason I will never buy a MB pen. No matter how nice they may write I just can't get over the "Precious Resin" BS.

OKLAHOMAN

If you want to bust a MB owners chops at a show. When their at your booth start by telling him/her "yep a Mont Blanc pen is a good pen mater of fact it's the Cadillac of pens(insert a 30 second pause) made on an assembly line by the thousands with the same plastic, each one a copy of the next, now sir/Madam your looking at the Bugatti of pens, each one hand crafted with loving care using the finest of materials...Now would you like to test drive a Bugatti.

Last edited:

bitshird

Wow that's pretty rank, I think when some of these "Old Line Companies" start to loose market share they start grabbing at anything that will get them press in their industry, a pretty crappy way of going about it as well.

Mark

Am I reading the court case right, in that if my "precious resin" body gets smashed by say a 10 pound sledge hammer, that I could be liable for copyright infringement for building a new "wood" body for it?

ldb2000

If you replace the bird splat and the three bands on the cap ..... yep . Of course if you never show a photo of it or try to sell it as a Mont Blanc , who's gonna know .

bgray

There's a lot to this....

I don't have time to get into it now....

I will never alter a Montblanc pen.

I will never take a MB nib and mount it onto one of my pens.

I will never approach a design that distinctly resembles an MB.

There is a worldwide pen company that will never again have 3 center-bands of any kind. This is due to a potential lawsuit that never came to fruition...only a letter that warned the company of the ramifications...

I could write a dissertation on this.

Botton line, it cost Penopoly a LOT of money to simply clear their name regarding total BS.

It was frivolous, it was ridiculous.

The judge threw it out, but it still cost Penopoly a HELL of a lot to clear their name.

Don't **** around with anything MB. Don't use a nib, don't make an overlay, don't use proprietary parts.

My only recourse....

I often get customers wanting me to use a MB nib, repair their MB pen, make a new pen around their MB...

I love to tell them the whole story...and by the end, they fully understand how MB has completely screwed the independent penmaker.

PenMan1

I use Mont Blanc against themselves. I always have a Meisterstuck ballpoint, rollerball and a 146 fountain pen at my booth. We test drive my pens against the MB's. Same ink in my pen and the MBs, same paper. (I sometimes have a customer load both pens from the same well and tear a single sheet of quality paper in half).
I sell a lot of pens this way, because my pens write better and don't feel like "precious plastic"!

glycerine

Am I reading the court case right, in that if my "precious resin" body gets smashed by say a 10 pound sledge hammer, that I could be liable for copyright infringement for building a new "wood" body for it?

Yeah, that doesn't make much sense. I've replaced the tires on my car several times and have never been sued by GM!!!

PenMan1

It's gonna get worse too!

Wow that's pretty rank, I think when some of these "Old Line Companies" start to loose market share they start grabbing at anything that will get them press in their industry, a pretty crappy way of going about it as well.

Mont Blanc has been ordered to stop producing the Ghandi commemorative pen and the Mother Teresa pen that they had in the works. India is boiling mad at MB and is planning litigation. It'll be interesting to see what the Pope does!

Top Bottom