moisture content on pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jokker78

What is the ideal moisture content of wood for turning a pen ? Or how much is too much. I found some amazing lookinf pen blanks with 25% moisture content.
:beer: :cool: :beer: :beer::cool: :beer::eek: :beer: :hypnotized:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

That's way too wet. 6-8% is what you want. Shrinkage will occur in that 25% piece, but it can't because there is a brass tube inside. CRACK! Plenty to read on drying. Google microwave drying, food dehydrators, or like I prefer, putting the blanks on my furnace duct trunk line in the winter and in the attic in the summer. Texas, put them in your attic.

Wildman

Joker, the ideal MC for a pen blanks for your area is when pen blanks reach equilibrium moisture content or EMC. For pen blanks can take weeks or months.

The moisture content of wood is directly related to the humidity and temperature of the surrounding air. The equilibrium moisture content (EMC) occurs when the wood has reached an equilibrium with its environment and is no longer gaining or losing moisture.

Depending upon species might be able to turn when blanks hits 12% MC, as you drill and turn will bring down MC to 6-8%.

If blanks not covered in wax just let them air dry before turning.

Nice read
http://www.uvm.edu/extension/environment/lumberdrying.pdf

Dan, with 25% MC, might cause more problems than worth using a microwave.

Little lamp kiln much better op!

kyaggie

I have not tried this on pen blanks yet but for some ambrosia maple pepper mill blanks (2-3/4" x 6") that were 25%+ moisture I drill them, round them and then soak them overnight in denatured ethanol. After their bath I wrap them in newspaper and let them sit for 2 weeks. That knocks the moisture content down to 6-8%.

Mike

I have used Pentacryl when I get wood that is really wet. Soak about 2 days in this (for 3/4x3/4) and then 4-5 drying. The nice thing about this product is that it also prevents cracking.

Mike

Top Bottom