Modifying a Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

I have a request for a pen that must include three specific elements including a label casting. In order to do this I need to modify a Sierra or a clone and replace the metal sleeves on the nose cone and cap with an acrylic. I did this prototype using ebony. I am not happy with the nose cone but have some ideas for how to do better. I will take this one apart and try some of those ideas.

Has anyone done this? I found a thread where someone modified a Sierra but not in this manner. Any tips on how to handle the nose cone section?

image.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Cody, I am not sure what you are describing.

When I knock apart the lower unit on a sierra I get the ring, the black filler section, and the nib attached to the tube.

If you are describing the black filler piece, there was a period about 8-10 years back when making a replacement was a popular modification. Have not seen it for several years.

I disassemble for the occasional loose filler piece that spins when the pen owner tries to twist the transmission. The ring and nib are more difficult to hold with the filler free spinning

Cwalker935

Ken,

I have circled the parts I am trying to replace on the upper pen (the gunmetal sleeves). I've replaced the sleeves on the lower pen but am not happy with the fit on the nose cone, there is very little wall thickness when trying to replace the thin metal sleeve.

image.jpg

Top Bottom