modified slimline question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PapaTim

In the library there is a pdf by Don Ward from 2011 that shows a variety of ways to modify a Slimline kit. One of those, on page 6 is listed as "longer bottom than top". I'd like to try that style but haven't found any info on how it was done. The top isn't just shorter, it's larger in diameter too.
Does anyone know if there are instructions or an article for this?
I've attached the pdf from library.

Attachments

• slimline_modifications.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 252
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rholiday

Get some 10 inch 7mm tubes and cut it to the length you want for the lower barrel. Two places to get the tubes are PSI and Berea -- there are probably more.
Link to cutting tubes --http://www.penturners.org/forum/f19/cutting-brass-tubes-127395/
For the center bushing use either a larger bushing from a different kit, or use the standard slimline bushing but don't turn the wood down to the bushing. If using a mandrel, you can remove the center bushing from the mandrel, (after getting to the diameter that you want), and put both top and bottom parts back on and turn them to the same diameter (without having to measure each separately).
The ends of the pen are turned to the diameter of the standard slimline bushing.
Hope this helps.
Bob

BSea

If you buy the Euro kit, the tubes are already sized close to what you want (I think). Then just do a custom centerband the diameter that you like. I never use a centerband from a euro or a slimline. Then the diameter of the upper barrel is whatever you want it to be. The same is true for the lower barrel. I also agree with rholiday. But the 10 tubes & cut your own if you think you're going to do this a lot. Otherwise, when you buy your slimline kits, just buy some euro tubes at the same time.

I love doing modified slimlines. There isn't a kit out there with more ways to customize.

Edward Cypher

+1 on Don Ward's book Turning Modified Slimline Pens. Russ Fairchild (sp) also did a bunch of articles that are somewhere on the net on modifying slimlines. To get to these you might have to use the wayback (sp)search.

turncrazy43

I believe Don Ward's book on modified slim line pens is a great value for anyone interested in making the slim line pen into something other than a starter pen.

its_virgil

Look at this: http://redriverpens.com/pdf files/three slimline zebrawood pens.pdf
email or PM me if you need more information.

As mentioned, the euro tubes will work. I cut the lower longer tube from 10 inch stock so I can control the lower barrel length. 10 inch 7mm tubes are available from most suppliers. The longer the lower barrel the further in the transmission must be pushed for the refill to propel far enough.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

In the library there is a pdf by Don Ward from 2011 that shows a variety of ways to modify a Slimline kit. One of those, on page 6 is listed as "longer bottom than top". I'd like to try that style but haven't found any info on how it was done. The top isn't just shorter, it's larger in diameter too.

Last edited:

PapaTim

Thanks for that link Don, I'd looked for it on your site but missed it. The pen in figure 'A' is exactly the style I wanted to try.

Look at this: http://redriverpens.com/pdf%20files/three%20slimline%20zebrawood%20pens.pdf
email or PM me if you need more information.

As mentioned, the euro tubes will work. I cut the lower longer tube from 10 inch stock so I can control the lower barrel length. 10 inch 7mm tubes are available from most suppliers. The longer the lower barrel the further in the transmission must be pushed for the refill to propel far enough.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom