Modified Slim lines - How To

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodmarc

Yes how do you?

I have seen numerous examples of the "modified" slimline. And I like them.
My question is how are you doing it? I get the basics, but are you using the busings from a different kit? Free handing?
I was thinking of using the bushings from a comfort pen for the nib end, but not sure of what to use for the cap end. I am looking for a method that allows for repeatability.
I like the overlay style of the modified slim.

I did do search of the forum for modified slimline but only came up with some examples of what I would like to attempt.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Russ' site is a good place to start. He give some very good ideas and techniques to get you started. Then you can let your imaginatin run wild. The slimline is a very forgiving kit and likes to be modified. They've told me so.[:D] Here is a link to my Y! photo albums, and one of them is slimlines only, except to one cigar that interloped. Here is the link: http://tinyurl.com/dhy9j

Use whatever bushing you want (In the center)or as you say, just free hand. Use CB's or no CB's. I personally like to make the bottom the same length as the euro and cut the top larger than the bottom. It looks like the KC twist but the cost is that of a slimline. Russ has the instruction on how to do that pen.

Good luck and I for one am anxious to see what modification you show us.

Do a good turn daily!
Don
'
Originally posted by woodmarc
<br /><b>Yes how do you? </b>

My question is how are you doing it? I get the basics, but are you using the busings from a different kit? Free handing?
I was thinking of using the bushings from a comfort pen for the nib end, but not sure of what to use for the cap end. I am looking for a method that allows for repeatability.

I did do search of the forum for modified slimline but only came up with some examples of what I would like to attempt.

Skye

Russ is where I got all my ideas from. I've got a few in my photos. Will be adding another tomorrow.

gerryr

The only thing you have to be careful of is not making the largest diameter more than .5 inches, else the clips look really weird.

johncrane

You can use the european kit bushes' you can also buy extra tubes! the same tubes that is used in the european pen kit. ie nib end is 60ml or two and a half inches thats if you like a longer pen. On the clip end you just round of the edges a bit. You also can counter sink the middle join this will hide the join l have made a tool to do this realy easy.

woodmarc

Thanks for the great info. Russ, I totally forgot about your sight. I went through it numerous times when I first got started. It has, and is, a great help.

Don, That is a great collection of work! I remember your posting the gavel's a while back and that has stuck with me as something I would like to attempt.

Last question, on the pens with out a cb, do I need to lengthen the upper tube to compensate.

Thanks again

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
<br /><b>Yes how do you? </b>

Once you have your blanks turned below the diameter of the"pen mill mark" you can get rid of the middle bushing and turn both together..
I punch a hole in a piece of wax paper ind separate the teo section with it, reassemble on the mandrel and continue to turn.
As you get deeper into this obsession you will start to collect different bushings from different kits.(I am told some even keep them organized, how boring!I view looking for the correct bushings as somewhat akin to ding a jigsaw puzzle)When you start collecting these bushings youw ill discover what can be mixed and matched.
It will take time and that gives you experience withexperience you make mistakes and from mistakes you learn.
Don't wish to attempt it, do it.

woodscavenger

After you turn below the pen mill diameter I like to take a slice of another contrasting wood that has been drilled with a 1/4" hole and stick it between the blanks on the mandrel. This is your CB. Now you can have complete freedom over size and shaping.

mick

I save all my blowouts and mistakes that have been tubed for slimlines. I will cut varying widths, depending on what I want, for the centerband and use that instead of the middle bushing once I've turned down below the milling line. Like most everyone else I use a piece of wax paper between the lower barrel and the centerband piece. It usually glues to the upper barrel as I'm sealing the pen and finishing it with CA and thats ok cause I don't really care for loose CB's.

its_virgil

Thanks. When you get ready to do a gavel/pen let me know. I did a demo on that at SWAT last year and will send you the handout I made for it. I need to spruce it up a little and post it here in the library.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
<br />
Don, That is a great collection of work! I remember your posting the gavel's a while back and that has stuck with me as something I would like to attempt.
Thanks again

woodmarc

Thanks gang for all the great advice.

Eagle, Ive been turning for about a year now and have "acquired" a few sets of bushings. So many that I wen out and bought one of those multi-drawer cabinets at the big orange box. I'm still loosing my bushings[:eek:)]. (you sound like Yoda, Don't try..Do [:p] )

The main reason that I asked is that I have been making the comfort style pen for a while now, a good seller with the ladies; But making it with out the grip. I was looking for the method of making the same sized pen with out wasting money on buying the grip that I won't use.
I have been saving the cutoffs from my pen blanks, just throwing them into a box under the bench, knowing Norm would find a use for them. [:D] I now know why I have been saving them!

I am waiting for an order of slims to come in now, can't wait to put this new found knowledge to use.

Don: looking forward to that info on the gavels.

Again
Thanks to everyone who contributed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom