Modified Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cowchaser

Johncrane ( I believe it was) did a modified Sierra during Eds Alt. Ivory contest where he removed all the black plastic from a Sierra and replaced it with Ivory. I found the pen, but I thought he did a tutorial on it also and I can't find it.

Anyone help out here or help me figure out how he did it? Just wanting to turn something, but wanted something different.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brewmeister35

I don't recall seeing one done in ivory but I do remember someone doing that with a blue acrylic. He was asked how and said he did it with punches. Wish I remembered who did it but it sure looked nice.

VisExp

Dustin

The one that Johncrane did was a beauty! You can see it here (Finalist # 1)

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8403&highlight=alt+ivory

I also did one. Not as successful as Johncrane. My lower barrel blew up, I think because it was segmented and needed to be turned really thin at the nib end. I also forgot to put the clip on when I was assembling it :redface: You can see it here (Entry # 3)

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8241&highlight=alt+ivory

Best I can remember, I had to drill a couple of stepped holes. Basically I was trying to match the internal dimensions of the finial end and lower barrel of the kit. Then I turned the two pieces down to the correct dimensions, mounted between centers.

Disassembling the kits involved a hammer and a set of harbor freight punches. :biggrin: Once I had them apart I just tried to duplicate them with alt. ivory. I assembled them by gluing them together.

Hope this helps a bit. For the cost of a Sierra kit it is a fun project to just start taking it a part and then re fabricating it. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Top Bottom