mm16,000

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

doug65

While at winter fair in Columbus Ohio two weeks ago,a guy selling pens said they were mm to 16,000 and no finish just polished. They looked good for not having any finish as he said, but was curious about the 16,000 mm part. Would this be a rouge and a buff or what. Never heard of mm that high and if so what would it be? Just curious, wondering. Thanks Doug

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

While at winter fair in Columbus Ohio two weeks ago,a guy selling pens said they were mm to 16,000 and no finish just polished. They looked good for not having any finish as he said, but was curious about the 16,000 mm part. Would this be a rouge and a buff or what. Never heard of mm that high and if so what would it be? Just curious, wondering. Thanks Doug

There is sandpaper that goes alot higher than that also.

bensoelberg

I find that hard to believe, not saying it's not possible, just hard to believe. Somebody posted an abrasives comparison chart about a month ago that listed 12,000 MM at 1 micron and plastix was at a half. 16,000 would be ridiculous.

Last edited:

Padre

I just did a quick check of the Micromesh website and couldn't find anything higher than 12000.

But like John says, there is some sandpaper that goes 16000 and up.

But what is the grit of let's say Novus 2? Isn't that right up there too?

mrcook4570

If you are talking about wood pens, then it does not matter how fine of a grit it is polished with, the pen will become oily, greasy, grimy, filthy, etc after it has been handled for any length of time.

ctubbs

When I first started working with fiber optic connectors, we had this polishing paper that was rougher on the paper side than the abrasive side. The abrasive actually felt slick. I never did find out what the grit was, but I guarantee it was higher than 16,000. When done properly, the end of the glass was checked with a good microscope, best I remember 120X, and no scratches were allowed. There are some very, VERY fine abrasives available if you are willing to pay the price.
Like Stan says, it matters not how fine the wood is polished, if there is no other finish there, the wood will get knarley shortly.
Charles

Penultimate

Hi
I bought sanding sheets, not pads, to 14,000 grit from ebay. I prefer the pads and don't see an improvement from 12,000 to 14,000. Plastic polish works better as the last coat.

Top Bottom