MM question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jaybird

The last pen I turned (Corian) I just could not get the scratches out no matter what I did, I have been looking at these MM pads and Plastic finishing pads to get, I guess my question is wich ones are prefered cuz the price is not that big of diff, so is there one better then other or last longer and better, I have been looking in the PSI book at

Plastic Finishing Pad # pkfinkit $13.95
and
Micro-Mesh Pads 9-Pack #mmeshpads9 $22.95

I just want to get my moneys worth, I don't think it will be that price where I buy from it should be a little cheeper from this guy, I PSI but for me living in Pa. the tax on this is crazy anywhere from 7-8 % and the shipping is even more, but anyways who I perchase from carries PSI products and I would like to get some of this sanding pads but not sure which ones are better, any help on this is greatly appreshaited,,,,

PS sorry about the spelling lol....

Thanks,,,
Jay....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

snyiper

I have turned several corian pens and have never used MM. I have however gone to 2000 grit with the wet dry then to Mothers Mag wheel polish. The Mothers seems to take out all the little fine scratches and leaves a nice shiney finish. Thats just my way YMMV.

Wildman

Sanding Roll Variety Pack

http://www.hutproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1120

Sanding Roll Variety Pack

http://www.hutproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1130

I have never turned corian, but wet sanded with paper from these variety packs before getting micro mesh for sanding acrylic blanks. The 240 grit is real aggressive so only use that on wood.

I would like to try that ABRANET Wood-n-Whimsies has on sale. I bought some micro mesh from him to replace micro mesh bought from Berea, which still use.

Padre

I love the micromesh, and always use it wet.

If you buy the larger pads like in the above post, you can cut them into 3rds, and have enough to last over a year.

BigguyZ

Here's my hint regarding polishing: use mineral spirits instead of water to wet sand. Seriously, it works well. Also, the MS won't puddle and it won't rust your lathe. You can wet sand and the whole area is dry when you're done.

I'll soak a paper towel or rag in MS, and that is what will continuously keep the blank wet while you sand.

jaybird

Ok I think I have made my decision, listening to you all and checking on what you sugested to me, so I checked where I buy from and low and behold there was some, don't know why I dident see it before but for $17.95 I will get the 3" x 4" MM and has it on both sides and the plus is each one is a different viberent color, should be easyer for me to remember the grits,,,, thank you everyone.....

Jay....

Top Bottom