mm finishing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sgimbel

I am doing a srtaight CA finish on seam rippers. When I MM to 12,000 I get a lot of scratches in them that I don't get in the short pen blanks. Do I also need to sand the long wood length wise like I do with regular sandpaper?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JBCustomPens

What do the scratches look like? Tiny rings, or kinda diagonal?

Either way, try not to press so hard with mm, and sand lengthwise with all grits up to 1500 or so.

Steve Busey

Are you wet or dry sanding? I wet sand at about 1000rpm, with some slow side-to-side motion to build up a slurry. Finish off with a good polish.

sgimbel

I'm trying to turn it on centers which was recommended by Ken, the inventor, but turning it on centers I can't get it real tight because the one end has a 10mm drill hole and if I try to tighten it down it will crack. So trying plastic polish doesn't work well because it stops spinning with any pressure I put on it.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I'm trying to turn it on centers which was recommended by Ken, the inventor, but turning it on centers I can't get it real tight because the one end has a 10mm drill hole and if I try to tighten it down it will crack. So trying plastic polish doesn't work well because it stops spinning with any pressure I put on it.
Just snug the tail stock a hair more to the blank and it should hold without any damage to the blank.

ToddMR

For me personally, stopping the lathe and sanding it length wise on every mm grit helped me a lot when I had an issue like that.

Top Bottom