Mixing and matching bushings / mandrels?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lobster

I have a mandrel from PSI. Tonight I used the Sedona / Baron bushings to make a Sedona Rollerball and I had some slight vibration the entire time turning.

The blanks are surely out of round as I found out when I assembled the pen....damn...another development pen...

I assumed perhaps the mandrel is bent. So I turn on the lathe with nothing on the mandrel and it's smooth as silk...huh? I turn off the lathe and put the Arizona Silhouette bushings on the PSI mandrel and they are slightly oversize. That is, the bushing ID is too big for the mandrel OD and I can actually rock the bushings slightly back and forth along the length of the mandrel!

Did I just get a bad batch of bushings or should I not use PSI mandrel / bushings with another company's bushings / mandrel?

The other strange thing is that I have a couple Tycoon kits from PSI with the Tycoon bushings and the smaller bushings for the Tycoon are the same as the Baron, but the larger bushings for the Tycoon are larger than the Baron. Is this right? I thought the kits were supposed to be the same?

Please help.

Top Bottom