Missing directions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gwhamilton

Hi All,
I am new to pen turning, a friend gave me quite a few pen kits. Most are not labeled in plastic bags. I am looking for directions that would tell me what bushings I need. He also gave me some bushings but I don't know what kits they are for. I found a document on this site that has some bushing dimensions so maybe I can wok out what they are. Some packages have part numbers but I can't locate anything online. I think they could be old models. One kit that looks nice is a Berea European style series 2000 pen kit. The box my friend gave me has some flyers that talk about new products. The post mark on one flyer is 1996. I can post pictures if that would help identify thekits. Thanks in advance. I have another friend showing me the ropes of pen turning tomorrow, I hope to make 2 more pens.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

You may find this attached file helpful

Attachments

• bushings and tubes.pdf
    200.3 KB · Views: 201

randyrls

There is a archive of web pages at archive.org

Type in the web site name and pick a likely time period. You can probably find the PDF instructions for most pens there.

Look for the Berea model number in the PDF files.

KenV

Keep your expectations in hand. I was making pens in the late '90s and know there have been a number of changes and improvements over the years between then and now.

One of the changes is that clear coat has become common over the less durable platings, especially gold plating. The gold plating from the late 90's looked good for a short while but wore through very quickly.

There were not nearly as many choices, so the field you will be searching will be small.

Some will be the same bushings now as then. Slime line pen bushing have endured virtually unchanged in the basic 7mm configuration.

I found a few old kits in a forgotten box a few years ago. Bushings were long since gone and the pen was no longer marketed. When you get a bit more experienced, there are techniques to turn pens without bushings that can be used to turn "vintage" pen kits into pens.

gwhamilton

Here's a few pics. I plan to use these kits to practice and develope the skills needed to make some nice pens without spending a lot of money.

Attachments

• 20150404_225644.jpg
    20150404_225644.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 133
  • 20150404_230100.jpg
    20150404_230100.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 137
  • 20150405_150102.jpg
    20150405_150102.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 154

magpens

The first two pictures obviously go together ... you could start with that pencil kit; at least you have printed instructions.

The third pic is clearly a PSI kit ... a very old one ... from before my time.
If you would display the contents *out* of the bag there would be a better opportunity to see what it is. That "tubes and bushings" file I attached in my earlier reply might have some relevant information.

Google brought up this: http://www.pennstateind.com/library/PK10-FP_ins.pdf

which seems to be a predecessor of this current model: http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PK10-RP2.html

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
PK10 RP is very straight-forward.

10mm hole, insert tubes.
both ends are the same diameter, the couplers are interchangeable for the body.
Looks like the "snap cap" version. That is the only "tricky" adjustment. The top of that plastic piece screws onto the small screw that comes out of the cap piece. You can use a large phillips screwdriver to screw the plastic piece on, then adjust how far you tighten it down, based on where the nib "clicks on" fairly tight.

Good Luck, not difficult,
Ed

Top Bottom