Misplaced my drive center on Jet 1014

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CaRed

I have misplaced (ok lost) my drive center on my Jet lathe. I am seeing pricing go from $20 to as high at $75. Is there really much of a difference in quality? I don't use it very often but would hate to waste $75 on something when I could have spent $20 and get the same results.

Any suggestions?

LeeR

I have misplaced (ok lost) my drive center on my Jet lathe. I am seeing pricing go from $20 to as high at $75. Is there really much of a difference in quality? I don't use it very often but would hate to waste $75 on something when I could have spent $20 and get the same results.

Any suggestions?

For drive centers, I am living proof that you cannot spend $20, and get the same results as spending $75 -- at least long-term. I bought the Woodriver drive center for $20 at Woodcraft. It has a spring-loaded drive point. It is a cheap knock-off of the Sorby Stebcenter that runs $60 or more. The screw would not stay in, unless really tightened, and then the center point would not move against the spring. I kept the screw part way in to allow it to work, and finally lost the screw. I did contact Woodcraft, and after going to a couple service people, I reached a technician that found one for me, and sent it to me. I will not use it until I get some Loctite, so I can secure the screw such that it stays in place part way in.

I'll eventually buy the Sorby model. Others may disagree with the "always buy the best" philosophy, but it seems like whenever I buy anything that looks like a bargain, it eventually turns out not to be one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom