MinWax Hardener Stabalizing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

rlh

Hi. I have read with great interest the many postings on stabalizing blanks with MinWax and I decided to try it myself. I acquired some Spalted Oak blanks from an Ebay auction that have been kiln dried and also some Plum blanks from Ebay which are air dried. The oak blanks are just a bit punky. I soaked both woods in the hardener for 24 hours as I do not have a vacuum system and then let them drip dry about 5 hours. Both woods turned very easily and sanded nicely. I then applied my usual finish of Hut Crystal Coat. This is my first attempt at stabalizing. I will be posting pictures of these pens and also a picture of my first attempt at turning my own centerband as in Scott Greaves artticle "Revisit the Slimline Pen".

Richard

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rlh

The Plum blank started out 3/4" square x 5.5" long. I cut it in half and drilled each half. Then I rough turned the blanks to cylinders.
The Spalted Oak blank also started out 3/4" square by 5.5" long. I cut it in half and drilled each half but did not rough turn them first.

jrc

I've used for a couple years and has worked very good on some woods. The only problem I had with the wood hardner was that I drilled the blanks before hand and after drying I had to redrill them because some woods the tubes were to tight for the hole and the bit would clog up from the hardner but other than that it does work very good.

Fred in NC

Richard:

Thank you for the details. Very interesting to see what you have done without any expensive equipment. Punky and porous woods of course would absorb the hardener a lot better, but these are precisely the woods that need the treatment. You got a winner!

MinWax Hardener is available locally, so I plan on picking up a can next time I go by the hardware store. I have a few blanks that are very porous, but with a good figure, and also some maple burl, and I am curious how much the burl will get soaked. The last time I had trouble turning it, had to put CA all over, and still got a couple voids that I had to fill in.

Again, good going, and I look forward to your pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom