Minor Wood gloat, and question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikemac

Ok, so I got lucky today scrounging thru a bin of 'claro' walnut gun stock rejects, and found this piece for $10, it measures about 14"x4"x4". Of course, I immediately starting harvesting it.[8D]

20071022213731_walnut1.jpg

but I found that it does have a lot of checks/knots/holes, typical in burl, more than really shows in the pics. (Probably explains why it was in the REJECT bin in the first place):D

20071022213846_walnutchecks.jpg

What's the best way to get the most out of these pieces? While some of these checks/knots are definitely too big to keep in a pen blank, I'd like to include some of the smaller ones for character. Should I just start filling em up with CA Glue? (Could use a lot, IMO) Or am I better off to avoid them as much as possible?

Appreciate any thoughts.
Mike

Ok.. well.. I am Mr. Instant Gratitude... I couldn't wait.

2007102302350_walnutburl_gent.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JayDevin

let the ca flow...it will make a clear patch and will yeild you some very nice blanks...or you can send me all of that reject wood and I give it a good home! LOL!!!

redfishsc

If you have any PR resin and a vacuum pot or even a pressure pot, it's nothing that some good hot curing resin and, oh, say 25" of mercury or 80 pounds of pressure couldn't help. And cheaper than CA at that. I would personally slice them into blanks and cast them in a flat tray, side by side with only a fuzz of space between them, just barely covered with catalyzed resin. Then pour on the pressure or suck it all out.

As far as getting it for $10....

punk![:(!]

ahoiberg

if you can't do the worthless wood thing, you might try some epoxy or an epoxy/sawdust mix to fill some of the really big ones and just use ca to fill the others while turning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom