Minimum Tube Size - Artisan Twist Slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Ok I've over trimmed a few Artisan Twist Slimline tubes. On purpose!

I use a lot of spalted wood but have no access to a stabilizing machine. I have my own methods for stabilizing but sometimes whilst barrel trimming the ca glue I coat the ends with has not worked well enough and the surface will tear which would lead to a dodgy looking end to a pen barrel.

If this happens I sink more ca glue in to the end I am trimming and trim it again. Normally I then get a great surface.

My question is what is the minimum length size tube you can use and still have a functioning Artisan Slimline Twist pen with no gaps. Is it a different minimum size for the clip barrel and the transmission barrel?

I want to use some of my pieces that I consider over trimmed as they are fine as long as the length falls within limits.

I will have to make a larger centre band or use them for keyrings if not as the wood is gorgeous spalted Beech, spalted Lime and spalted sycamore.

Sabaharr

Can't help with your initial question but using spalted (essentially rotting) wood without proper stabilization is risky as far as it surviving turning. Also to avoid your problem I suggest sanding it on the lathe where you have more control. I know none of that helps you now but preventing future mishaps is always good. As for stabilizing perhaps someone that can do it would be willing to trade some of that nice wood you have for the service (hint, hint).

KenV

Do you use the 3.95 inch block to control the nib to top of transmission length?

As long as the transmission is firm, the refill will be right.

Trimming with abrasives works better for me with most soft woods.

Top Bottom