acE.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 463
  • acF.jpg
    acF.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 456
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pianomanpj

Man, Rick, that is an awesome pen! And thanks for the tutorial! Perhaps you ought to convert that into a PDF and submit it to the library. Fantastic stuff!!:biggrin::biggrin:

Sylvanite

Very nice, Rick. I had much the same procedure in mind but hadn't tried it yet. The split delrin mandrel is a neat touch - I hadn't thought of that.

All in all, that is a great pen and an excellent writeup.

Regards,
Eric

MobilMan

Wow. Real nice Rick. Nice overall balance. I'll bet I can guess what Stevers is gonna be doing this weekend. I don't think anyone thought bad on the comment 'good luck'. Just made it more of a challenge for those trying.

Darley

Rick that very good tutorial, will have to try some casing one day when I find some as here it's not so easy I suppose that you can swap antle instead of the wood that would be cool

Darley

Sorry Rick looking again your pen parts I do have a question : do your CB is a bit slopy I mean moving around it seem to me that the CB ID is bigger than the mecanism oR do the bottom barrel is long enought to act as a tenon ?

titan2

Question

I'm missing something here.......

Why are you cutting the blanks at an angle? I understand the bullet casing being cut that way......

Why not just use the Ironwood instead of having the mahogany glued to the tubes?

I understand what you're doing and the tutorial is well done......just don't know why you're doing some things.......ie the reasons behind doing it that way.

THANKS,

Barney

JerryS

That looks great , I really like the angle cuts , gives it a different look . What did you use for nib and clip end ? The nib looks like the bullet.

rherrell

I'm missing something here.......

Why are you cutting the blanks at an angle? I understand the bullet casing being cut that way......

Why not just use the Ironwood instead of having the mahogany glued to the tubes?

I understand what you're doing and the tutorial is well done......just don't know why you're doing some things.......ie the reasons behind doing it that way.

THANKS,

Barney
Barney, if both ends of the blank were square then you COULD just use the DIW, cut tenons on the ends to fit in the casing and not use the mahogany. BUT, since I have an angle on one end it makes it impossible to cut a tenon on that end.

Sorry Rick looking again your pen parts I do have a question : do your CB is a bit slopy I mean moving around it seem to me that the CB ID is bigger than the mecanism oR do the bottom barrel is long enought to act as a tenon ?
Serge, the mahogany insert was left a little long to act as a tenon for the CB but it is a bit small. The CB was not glued in when I took the photo and it moved. I have since glued it and it fits fine.

This brings up a sticky situation, glue.:biggrin: :wink: I absolutely HATE using glue to hold a pen together. NOT for segmenting and the like but STRUCTURALLY holding the pen TOGETHER. I think it's cheating and unprofessional
BUT MORE THAN THAT I worry about the pen FALLING APART in the customers HAND.:eek: That's why this will become a PERSONAL pen and not offered for sale.
Thanks to all of you who commented, it means ALOT to me.:biggrin:

rherrell

Rick, Great looking pen and a great lesson. How much time to make it from start to finish?
Total, around 8 hrs.. 7hrs. the first day to make all the parts and put some CA on the DIW. I always wait overnight to polish my CA so the next day it took about 1 hr. to finish the CA and assemble the pen. I took my time because I was doing a few things for the first time.
I could see cutting that time in half after doing a few but there's alot of work in them so I think it's gonna take ME at least 4 hrs. to do one no matter how much practice I have.

VisExp

Rick, I'm not a huge fan of bullet pens, but this one is a real winner. It looks great and it looks like it must have been a lot of fun figuring out how to make. Very nice work.

Top Bottom