Mini turning tool recommendations

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandking

Hi all,

I am new to turning and have been using full size tools for my pens and bottle stoppers, but sometimes feel like it is a bit overkill. Can someone recommend a mini set that is good. I am putting a Christmas list together and would like to add this. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

byounghusband

Joe,
Some of us use the regular size tools like you do.... I use a 1" roughing gouge and a 1" skew for a most of my pens and stoppers. I did go to Harbor Freight and pick up an 8 piece HSS turning set that is a medium size set, 8" handles on it, for about $18 if IIRC. I use it sometimes, but usually go back to the regular tools.

martyb

I've got the Delta mini turning set as well as a set of full size tools. About the only thing I use out of the mini set is the round nose scraper.

Tom McMillan

I now do mostly miniature turnings, and I've ended up having to make a lot of my tools from old screwdrivers, an ice pick, and some dental type tools. I did purchase a set of mini tools from Penn State a couple months ago. The ones I've been using are staying very sharp and I do a lot of turning of miniatures---really, though for pens I use mostly my larger tools. It's a 5 piece mini set I think shown as Benjamin's Best and was only about $25 for the set. There's also a very small 3 piece mini set at Grizzly that I have that has also stayed very sharp.

alamocdc

Joe, I got 3 PSI "pen" tools with my starter kit and very rarely use them on pens. In fact, I ground the gouge to use for bowls and I'm thinking about grinding the 1/2" skew into a modified scraper for use on ornaments.

txbob

Hi Joe,
I generally use larger tools for pens, a 1" skew and a 1 1/4" roughing gouge. You'll find the smaller tools harder to control as they tend to bounce a little more with hard spots in the wood.

If you want smaller tools, make them from allen wrenches. Most are HSS, sharpen easily, and hold an edge well.

I enjoy using several tools made from carbon steel. It can be sharpened sharper than HSS, but doesn't hold an edge as long. For really fine finish cuts I frequently use a carbon steel skew.

When ground on a wheel, the sparks from carbon steel are yellow and sparks from HSS are orange. Ummm, I think that's right. I rarely use a grinding wheel. Can somebody check that for me?

Happy turning,
txbob

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I use a $12.00 set from HF and whack the handles off.Just cut another this AM as a matter of fact.
With the shorter handles you can one hand them and still smoke a cigartte, or drink from a soda can, talk on the phone, pick the CA out of your beard.
Kind of like multi tasking.
Oh yeah you can also get close enough to see what you are doing.

Jamie

Of course you'll get a million different answers. I have tried most everything at least once and have ended up using my 1/2" Ashley Iles Standard-U roughing gouge for almost everything when turning my pens. Why this tool works so well for me is a mystery... but it was love at first sight.

gerryr

All the tools I use are full size except for a 1/16" parting tool I made from an old table knife. Oh, and I do have a "mid" size 1/8" parting tool which is actually 0.164" and it feels pretty weird to use, it seems too short.

Rudy Vey

I use only full size tools for my pen and other small turnings. When I got my first lathe I also purchased the typical three-piece set for penturning, but quickly switched to normal tools.

sandking

I have a 1/2" Sorby Skew I just bought from someone and love it. I can control it well with the bottle stoppers and pens. I did notice that some of the mini tools were 1/4" not 1/2". What would they consider my Sorby 1/2"? It doesn't have a long handle like my other standard tools.

bob393

I use a 3/4" roughing gouge, a 1/2" spindle gouge, a 1/2" rolled edge skew, and a 1/8" parting tool. Taylor and Sorby. They all work for me.

txcwboy

I use a Crown 1 inch gouge , Crown 1 inch skew and a 1/4 round carbide tip ShopSmith tool ( it cuts like a banshee!) I was thinking about getting some of the new Kryo Pen tools from woodturners.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom