Mini rollerball kit...does it exisit?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drb007

My daughter has a customer who wants a mini pen, but he only likes rollerballs. I cant find a kit for this anywhere. The closest thing was the Classic Petite at PSI, but the reviews are not good. Anyone have a lead for me?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

carlmorrell

I was looking at the mini roller fountain pen sold by penn state. It is a small pen, with a rollerball tip, but it takes a fountain pen cartridge.

Have not made one yet, but I have a buddy that wants a really small rollerball. He also likes fountain pens. So this is on my list of to-dos.

Drb007

Yup,
That's the one I was going to order as well, but the reviews are pretty bad, and this is going to a real pen guy, so I need to find something of quality.

carlmorrell

Dooh.:eek: I never read the review. Seems to have fitment issues. But I wonder if one bad kit or batch of kits gave it a bad rep. It's not like a lot of people reviewed it.

I have to make a PS order, so I may take the chance on one.

turncrazy43

If your customer is a real "pen guy" the Chicago may not be for you. It is an Apprentice kit and the quality would not be up to the standards a real pen person would look for.

What about taking some full size components, and shortening the bottom tube to fit the mini refill that works in the Chicago? Depending on the components, you may have leeway to shorten the top tube as well. Hmmm. Might have to pick up a few of those refills and try that myself..

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Don't bet the farm on that...
If your customer is a real "pen guy" the Chicago may not be for you. It is an Apprentice kit and the quality would not be up to the standards a real pen person would look for.

Carl Fisher

Not to derail the thread too far, but I've found that if you pull the plastic coupling and threaded bushing from the stock black cap, you can very easily turn a full replacement cap to match the pen. No need to keep the stock black cap which as far as I'm concerned is the only negative to the kit. That and finding refills.

Another option for a true pen connoisseur would be to buy the Schmidt rollerball system for like $3 that uses FP ink cartridges, a 6.5x.5 tap if you don't already have one ($40 from various IAP vendors) and make a pen exactly the size and shape he's looking for.

Last edited:

penmaker56

I was going to say the Schmidt mini8126 is one of the smallest roller ball refills out; they are also one of the most expensive roller ball refills, and I do not know what kit you would use or bastardize to fit it.

Twissy

I had the same request from a customer last week, and this is what I came up with.
It's a mag cap cheapo Zen copy, but length wise the tube is the same as a Zen. I replaced the tube with a Sierra tube and epoxied the parts in. I could have cut the tube down, but I've got loads of Sierra tubes.
The insert is a Monteverde mini rollerball which I got 18 of from fleabay for £10!
DSC_0025.jpg

Top Bottom