mini mini lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rogerwaskow

Hi all

I, a long time ago, in a galaxy far far from here, saw a mini mini lathe. That means a smaller lathe than the mini lathe. Now I am hard of hearing but my eyesight is still pretty good so my eyes were not misleading me. I am looking for something like that so that when I travel around and I want to swing some timber I can do so and not get withdrawel symptoms. Can anyone help:confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenPal

Roger,

One such lathe that is also a precision lathe called a micro lathe is the American Taig that has adapters to turn pens etc. Sells with a variable speed motor for 1100 dollars. That full kit is mounted on its own base board. I have one and I have made some mods myself. Sold in Australia by Taig Australia. Google it for full info. There are many special Taig groups as it has a cult following. The Taig was developed by Space Research people and is well made.

I used a mini lathe made in South Australia as part of my Penmill design this is no longer made.

There are several toy lathes, beware some designed for short time running only.

Jewelers Lathes abound very exe in prices as well sometimes in the thousands. Like everything you get what you pay for. Depending on your wanderings many turners use the Vicmarc VL100 I also have one of these and swear by it after several years.

Have success, make haste slowly have fun I Do.

Peter.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
HI Roger!

You might also be on the lookout for Sherline brand lathes. Both the Taig and the Sherline are great precision lathes with plenty of accessories and will travel well. the Sherline has a variable speed motor attached to the lathe its self.

KenV

Bonnie Klein made a light mini lathe based on a Taig headstock with a custom bed and accessories. When the Midi Lathes such as the Jet hit the market, her market share plumeted and she has dropped production. They are available from time to time used,

The frame was aluminum and the motor was the significant weight. The Taig headstock was 3/4 by 16 and did not have a morse taper. The tailstock was a taig with the 3/8 by 24 thread adapted to a custom live center she also made.

I have turned pens on my Taig -- ackward with the tool rests, but it will spin wood and has a live center available. Lee Valley sells the woodturning version.

Top Bottom