mini metal lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jocat54

Hi,
Looking on opinions and thoughts of the HF 7x10 metal lathe,
I know it won't be super accurate--but maybe with a few mods it could be a decent TOY. Thinking with there 25% coupon on New Years day it might be worth while.

Thanks,

John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bruce119

I do all my turning on my 7x14 mini metal lathe and just love it. You will love the variable speed 0-2500 or so reverse at a flip of a switch. Use the tool holder to round the blanks fast and get close to size then put on a tool rest and use you skew to finish it up. You can make your own bushings quick and accurate. Heck make you own pen parts. Very handy lathe. The H.S. is a MT-3 the T.S. is a MT-2. Join the Yahoo group "7x12minilathe" group very active group with priceless information.

Good luck

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
If you can get the 7 x 12 you will really appreciate the extra 2 inchs for things like drill chucks in the tailstock. Other than that, it can do many advanced things related to penmaking.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
With proper cleanup and adjustment the 7x lathes are quite accurate. The 7x10 is actually a bit shorter than advertised, as the 7x12 has ways that are 4" longer. The nice thing is that the 7x10 and 7x12 have identical headstock and tailstock so if you ever decide you want a bigger lathe, you can just buy longer ways and leadscrew from Little Machine Shop.

jocat54

Thanks for all the replies. I live about 100 miles from the nearest HF. I have to go to San Antonio on Wed anyway so I think I will stop by HF and ask the manager if they will sell it to me then instead of New Years Day.(doubt it-but all they can say is no)

Thanks,

John

bruce119

You can get 20% discount coupons from a lot of magazines. Like American shooter, Hot Rod magazines like that. There are quite a few of them then wait till there is a sale and use the coupon on top of the sale. That is the way to get the best savings.

Good luck

jleiwig

Be warned that some stores will not honor the coupons on special order merchandise, as they are supposed to be for in stock merchandise only.

Anything other than the 7x10 (really should be labeled 6x8) will be considered a special order.

randyrls

The 7x10 will be OK for pen making but just. It is long enough, but you have to think about how much bed length is taken up by the chuck, tail stock, jacobs chuck, drill bit, and stock. The 7x10, 7x12, and 7x14 are all measured differently as to length. The 7x14 is 6" longer than the 7x10. Go figure!

The 7x10 is perfect for making bushings, and other small parts for the pens.

jocat54

Well I got the 7x10 today (New Years Day) When I went Wednesday the manager told me that the "home office programs their computers for the discount" and couldn't do it. He was a nice man and did hold one for me.

Now have to find some time to unpack and clean it.

John

ldb2000

Good luck with the new toy .... errr ..... tool . I'm still learning how to use mine but I learn a little more every time I play .... work with it .:wink::biggrin:

altaciii

I've had mine for about six months, and for what I do It's perfect. I'm still playing.....er.... learning about it but it really comes in handy at times. I'm sure you made a good choice in a small metal lathe.

Top Bottom