mini metal lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jack barnes

I know that there is a few of you that use metal lathes, HF has a 7X12 that is on sale for $369.00. I would like to pick one up, but I need to justify it. I would thank that the dust from turning wood, could cause more problems, then it would be worth. On the other hand I could make my own bushing and other small parts. So if some one could just push me over the edge, I'll go pick one up.

Jack

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Push..Push.. is that enough :D

You can turn plastics on it as well as make your metal parts. That is a nice size lathe. I have one, but it collects dust right now.
I have used it for turning some small metal items.

England14

Originally posted by jack barnes

I would thank that the dust from turning wood, could cause more problems, then it would be worth. On the other hand I could make my own bushing and other small parts. So if some one could just push me over the edge, I'll go pick one up.

Jack

Don't worry about the dust! It will not hurt it! The metal dust and shavings are much worst than wood dust. The first lathe I bought was advertised as a lathe did not specify wood or metal. When I got there it had so much saw dust on it that I could not tell what it was. after cleaning it off a bit I discovered it was a metal lathe. The guy had been tunning wood on it for years. I bought it cleaned it up and used it for a few years and sold it to a friend of mine and he is still using it over twenty years latter. The lathe has never had anything done to it as far as repairs. The power feed for the carriage is out now, but that had nothing to do with the "wood dust".

Push, Push now go get that thing. You will not believe how many times you will use it.

I don't mean to hijack your thread, Jack, but what is the difference between a metal lathe and a wood lathe and what is your interest in having a metal lathe? Would you have a metal lathe and a would lathe, or would you turn wood on your metal lathe, too? If you turn wood on the metal lathe, do you have to make any compromises? I'm just curious. Thanks for your thoughts.

Daniel

My metal lathe is really the same thing as what you are looking at. I will do my best to push you. I am not sorry I bought mine. I prefer it for turning, and finishing my pens. turning requires you make a tool rest for it. they sell tool rests for them but don't waist your money on them they are not strong enough. If you still have to try one e-mail me I have one I will sell you cheap.
now for the bad news. they will come out of the box plenty good enough for making pens, except, the electronics are prone to failing. this is easily fixed by buying quality replacements at radio shack. Little Machine shop sells a kit that has all the upgrade electronics in it. for top preformance of this machine look at the 7X12 mini lahte group on yahoo groups. it has info on being able to fine tune all the parts. Basically you are buying the raw materials to make a top of the line lathe out of. It is not hard to do and was actually fun for me. I have to get the head stock tail stock alignement adjusted on mine as it is out by about .01". Precise and silky smooth is how I would describe turning with it. it is heavy and can be bolted to a bench. I recomend you do, as heavy a bench as you can. the lathe does not try to move around, but the more weight you have the smoother it runs. Finally it is a great price on a double duty tool. I can make better pens with it and make some of my tools like pilots for my end mill, bushings, dead on center drilling etc. Also look for the Homier speedway mini metal lathe. It is the same lathe and can sometimes be found at an even better price.

jack barnes

Thanks everyone you pushed me over the edge.
Micheal I allready have a jet and a no name mini wood lathes just want to make some SS bushings and other small parts and alumium pens.
Bob I just got back from HF they where out of stock gave me a rain check, tryed to use the coupon for some other things, the manager told me that these coupons are fraudulent. He said that HF doesn't have a 20% off coupon. He wasn't accusing me of anything but did give me a 15% discount.
Thanks again now it's the old wait game.

Jack

txbob

Jack,

That's interesting. Here in Texas I've used that coupon maybe a dozen times. It won't always scan, but when they type in the coupon's number the computer always finds it and gives the discount.

At least it got you 15% off.

txbob

Top Bottom