Mini lathe chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JOEHILL7

I have a jet 1014vsi. I am pretty much a pen turner and and somtime wine stoppers.
I want to turn some pen holders approx. 2"-3" dia. By 3"-5" tall.
What would be a good chuck for a this lathe.
Thanks
joe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DurocShark

there's nothing wrong with the HF 2" mini scroll chuck. i have it and use it. my initial review is on my blog.

KenV

You tend to get what you pay for with value in bands and some good deals walking around. My scale

Top - Vicmark - smooth, tight, little runout - good concentric movement

Beall Collet Chuck -- up to 3/4 inches this cannot be beat and handles pen mandrels and bottle stoppers direct. 2nd tier only because it is limited to 3/4 inch size. Moderate cost for high precision.

Oneway/Nova -- both good, with Talon maybe a bit better - good concentric movement with thght gears. The "tommy bar" versions are a bit less expensive but you need 3 hands on occasion.

PSI -- These are knock offs with less tolerance in the gears and less precision, but good for general use.

Harbor freight -- low tolerance, high runout, not especially good for repeated mountings, but may be "good enough".

For the Jet -- best value and lowest cost is to find nylon locking nuts threaded 1 by 8 and take out the nylon - drill a 1 5/8 hole in a wood block (Bonnie Klein uses 2 by 4 from the borg) and epoxy the nuts into the hole with the nylon lock end up. The nylon lock end provide the relief to face against the spindle and you have a face plate for 1-3 bucks each (depends on where you get the nuts -- Bonnie claims she gets them for 89cents -- I find them for a couple bucks). glue blocks allow you to turn anything round up to the lathe capacity. I use a starret parting tool (Starret bi-metalic hacksaw blade in a high tension frame) to cut things off the block.

I am just ordering a vicmark for the big lathe and have PSI and OneWay Talon in hand. My daughter has Nova

For pentuning and bottle stoppers, I love my Beall Collet Chuck - getting the ER-32 collets from 800Watt on E-Bay.

(hint -- if you get yourself a PSI or better scroll chuck and a beall collet chuck you can skip the drill press.....)

Last edited:
This is a good set to start. It comes with the jaws to do what you want plus allow you to expand if you want.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CSC3000C.html

Check with Amazon, you can often get this there cheaper with free shipping.

This is a good chuck... I have two and both get lots of use.
Watch for PSI's sales.. sometimes they will sell that set for about half the list price. Also try Amazon.. they sometimes have PSI stuff on their site.

Top Bottom