Milling Raw Wood Tutorial

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TheHeretic

Nice to see someone decided to take picutures of the process. I have done things several times and always forget to take pics to show others.

Nice job.

Dean
Columbus OH

tdmiller10

I for one appreciate you doing that! I helped my dad trim a sycamore tree last weekend and there were some nice pieces that, once dried out, will make some good turning stock. I do have a question though, do you treat the ends of the blanks with wax or anything to prevent splitting? How long does it usually take the blanks to dry out?

I look forward to any answers (from anyone in the know :)) and also to any updates to that blog.

karlkuehn

Banned
I've been having pretty good luck with letting them dry for a while until they get down to 10% moisture, and then anchor sealing the ends to keep them from going bone dry and checking. [:)]

tipusnr

Well done! I have used my power miter in other ways to get pen blanks ready but never even considered this one! The additional idea of a zero clearance backplate was valuable as well.

karlkuehn

Banned
I need to add a little more to it. I like using backplates when I'm cutting small trim pieces at work (sill returns and such) but for this stuff, at least with my 'fixed' chop saw, I like to have every little 1/4" of blade cut length I can get. It would be a lot safer with at least a chunk of something thin back there. [:)]

I don't have any way to 'pdf'-ify anything. Someone who saw one of my other tutorials mentioned that he could do it for me, but I'll have to track him down. I spose I should finish it first. heh

Thanks for all the kind words and feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom