military ranks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sgimbel

I'm making a couple bullet pens engraved with names and military ranks. I have an E9 USMC and an E9 USARMY. I can't find the abbreviations (for certain) for a Seargent Major (Army). Is it SGTM? What for a Marine?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sgimbel

Both took me to the same place. Now all I have to figure out which SGTMAJ they were. Thank you Alton and Dave for the help.

ragz

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]US Military E-9 ranks by service[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Army -Sergeant Major (SGM)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]US Navy/USCG - Master Chief Petty Officer (MCPO)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]USAF - Chief Master Sergeant (CMSgt)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]USMC - Master Gunnery Sergeant (MGySgt)[/FONT]

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Also

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]US Military E-9 ranks by service[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]US Navy/USCG - Master Chief Petty Officer (MCPO)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]USAF - Chief Master Sergeant (CMSgt)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]USMC - Master Gunnery Sergeant (MGySgt)[/FONT]
Also in the USMC - Sergeant Major (SgtMaj)
The Navy also has several Master Chief Designations...Command Master Chief, Force Master Chief and Fleet Master Chief.....

The US Coast Guard although technically under the DOT rather than DOD uses the same designations as the Navy

Last edited:
I'm making a couple bullet pens engraved with names and military ranks. I have an E9 USMC and an E9 USARMY. I can't find the abbreviations (for certain) for a Seargent Major (Army). Is it SGTM? What for a Marine?

Are you sure he was a Sergeant Major and not a Master Gunnery Sergeant?

Both are E-9 in the 'Corps.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Understand

I just gave the generic E-9 ranks and not the command ones

I understand --- I just listed Navy listings because the Command, Force and Fleet Master chiefs do have slightly different rating insignia with a star inside their chevrons rather than the speciality symbol.

The Marines use two different designations for E-9....

philipff

Jobs, not rate

The Navy also has several Master Chief Designations...Command Master Chief, Force Master Chief and Fleet Master Chief.....

The US Coast Guard although technically under the DOT rather than DOD uses the same designations as the Navy

Navy Jobs, of Cmd Master Chief, etc are just that and not rankings. Phil

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Agreed

Navy Jobs, of Cmd Master Chief, etc are just that and not rankings. Phil
As I said I entered them because the Chevrons they wear are different that other Master Chiefs...Where the rating logo appears between the chevrons and rocker they have an inverted star. For Force and Fleet Master Chiefs the stars above the eagle as well as the one replacing the rating symbol are gold rather than silver.

Top Bottom